Talk

Advanced search

Some advice on money maths, explaining giving change etc - year 2

(5 Posts)
justanotherneighinparadise Tue 07-Apr-20 22:34:06

I’m doing pretty well with lockdown learning my seven year. I have lots of workbooks and online resources. I understand the process of quite a lot of the math syllabus so am getting used to the terminology. However I’m struggling with explaining adding money simply and calculating change.

It’s my understanding ks1 isn’t dealing with decimals at this point. Would you teach partitioning with a decimal when adding and subtracting money? Or would you stick to saying 100p when calculating a pound and then convert to £1 at the end.

On a ks1 quiz I found online they wanted my child to work out change from a ten pound note using a selection of coins that you moved onto the screen. I couldn’t work out a simple way to explain this to him. Partitioning would see you talking about 1000 pence which seemed crazy. Then I started writing it down with a decimal and that seemed wrong. I’m a bit lost with it.

He understands coins and notes and can recognise them.

OP’s posts: |
Margo34 Wed 08-Apr-20 13:23:08

You could do whole pounds change from a ten pound note. So, you have £10 to spend but the book you want only costs £4. First ask them to find how much money will the shop keeper will return as change, then second ask which coins could that amount of change be?

Margo34 Wed 08-Apr-20 13:24:33

The second part could incorporate problem solving in that there will be many different ways of making up that change using different coins. How many ways can they find?

justanotherneighinparadise Wed 08-Apr-20 13:54:00

Yes that sounds good. We need to work out the change and then count out the money I think on that quiz.

I made good progress today with adding amounts under £10.00. He used column method and partitioning successfully so I think subtracting and adding is fine with the decimal there.

I have an idea of making a shop and setting up a price list where we can give change. I have lots of play money so that should be fine. I just need to figure out the best technique when counting out change.

OP’s posts: |
Margo34 Wed 08-Apr-20 14:20:58

Play shop sounds a great idea.

Can they count out the change by counting forwards/backwards in 2p, 5p and 10p coins?

Does your child earn pocket money? Could also consider setting up a 'pocket money for chores' list to give more motivation!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in