Removal companies in the York area - any recommendations?

(13 Posts)
Kirstieallsoppsalterego Thu 10-Sep-09 20:14:23

We're moving to York in the next few weeks and are trying to get our minds round the whole 'moving' business. I have persuaded DH that his bad back wouldn't withstand transporting all our junk in several transit vans, and he has agreed to call in the professionals. Does anyone have any recommendations (or non-recommendations!) that they could pass on to me? I would be most grateful! smile

Northernlurker Thu 10-Sep-09 20:35:04

I used Walmgate removals last year and I thought they were very good actually. Not the most 'professional' in appearence tbh but the guy who packed us the day before did a great job and carefully asked where I wanted things to go. They took all our beds down and reassembled them very competently and were quick and pleasant. Nothing was broken at all. The plan was to have two guys or maybe three but then they had a move cancelled so we had 4 in the end - at no extra cost. They all smoked like chimneys (but nothing of ours moved ended up smelling of smoke in case you were worried) and drank tea like you wouldn't believe - I had to go out for more sugar!! but they were lovely guys and did exactly what we needed. They were also I thought pretty cheap. So a bit rough and ready maybe but good local chaps and we were very happy.

Kirstieallsoppsalterego Thu 10-Sep-09 20:37:43

Thanks, NL (I am Dottoressa, btw, but have namechanged after being 'outed' by a RL friend!)

As you see, our move is becoming real at last!

I shall give Walmgate a ring...

Northernlurker Thu 10-Sep-09 23:18:41

I was wondering what had happened to you! Hurrah for move - so have you sold yours? Hope you found something nice here in York grin

Kirstieallsoppsalterego Fri 11-Sep-09 19:29:12

Yes, we can't wait (currently commuting so the DCs can get to school - almost two hours to get home today, an hour of that spent in York traffic!!)

We've ended up with the big semi on Tadcaster Road. It needs everything doing to it, but it's great. We're really looking forward to it! We're hoping to move in early October...

kathyis6incheshigh Fri 11-Sep-09 19:36:55

Congratulations on the move! Can't recommend anyone I'm afraid as we both used companies from elsewhere to move to York rather than a local firm. Glad it's happening at last!

Kirstieallsoppsalterego Fri 11-Sep-09 20:31:03

Thank you! It will be a huge relief once it's over and done...

BexJ78 Tue 15-Sep-09 21:13:03

Hello, just wanted to say hi! i live in York too just off Boroughbridge Rd. we moved in the Spring and used a firm from Leeds. i can't remember the name, but will check and get back to you.

BexJ78 Tue 15-Sep-09 21:16:53

Have just checked...it was Heywoods removals that we used. I initially contacted them by email (sales@heywoodremovals.com)

Hope that helps.

jooseyfruit Tue 15-Sep-09 21:18:32

great news! how exciting.
I'm so chuffed you are sorted.

if you see a mad sweaty woman running past your house with a blue jogette pram, that's me, give us a wave.

No idea re: moving companies though, last time I moved house I did it all with a wheel barrow (I was only moving to the next street mind you)

Kirstieallsoppsalterego Fri 18-Sep-09 15:32:51

Bex - thank you!

I shall give them a go.

NL - we had Walmgate here today to suss it out. He had evidently been in the pub and was slightly worse for wear, which could account for the surprisingly low quote that he's just emailed me.

Joosey - LOL at mad woman with blue pram. Feel free to knock on the door (I'll let you know once we've moved in, or else our buyers might be a bit surprised). grin

Ponymum Fri 18-Sep-09 15:40:04

Hi kirstie. We have used Acomb removals twice and would use them again if we ever needed to. The most recent time they gave us a VERY good price. They are not exactly Pickfords, but for a local firm they are friendly and professional, and did all the assembling stuff we asked for. I hope the move goes well. Good luck!

Kirstieallsoppsalterego Fri 18-Sep-09 19:13:42

Hello Ponymum, and thanks for the recommendation! Friendly and professional is definitely good...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now