Advice on where to move to please

(4 Posts)
Hobn0b Mon 10-Nov-14 20:27:49

Hello, my husband and I are seriously considering moving to York from brighton and we would like your advice on where to look for a family home close to good primary schools (we have a 7 month baby so planning for future) and within walking distance to York centre. I've heard to avoid Acomb and Tang Hall? I've also read mixed reviews about Clifton. What's Water Lane like? We've seen a couple of houses on rightmove on this road.
Also new Earswick, Osbaldwick and Heworth.

If anyone can help guide us to the right areas to house hunt, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

janeyjampot Wed 12-Nov-14 23:28:41

I don't think I can answer all your questions but I'll have a go at a few of them!

Water Lane is a busy road crossing the river to the north of the city centre. It can get quite congested but it's a nice walk into town from there along the river.

Realistically New Earswick is a long walk from the centre. However, it's an interesting place, constructed as a purpose-built community about 100 years ago for people moving out of the slums. It has good footpaths and cycle routes and there's a bus service into town every 10 minutes during the day, so it's quite convenient.

Everyone seems to have good things to say about Heworth. It's a nice area although it kind of blends into Tang Hall on the southern side, so as that's an area you want to avoid you might want to look at the northern bits.

I don't know if you've posted this elsewhere but this board can be surprisingly quiet, given the number of mumsnetters in York. You might get a better response in Chat on the main board.

makesomenoise Thu 20-Nov-14 07:50:19

Have a look at southbank, bishopthorpe road, heworth, badger hill, fulford, holgate which are all lovely areas near parks and good schools.

You might like to consider villages just out of york in which case I'd recommend Bishopthorpe, Copmanthorpe, Wheldrake, Dunnington, Strensall.

I wouldn't worry too much about 'avoiding' certain areas, York generally is a lovely place to live and the 'worst' areas are still safe and much quieter than bigger cities.

Surrealistrhinoceros Thu 20-Nov-14 09:10:31

Good recs above.
Acomb has its good points not least that housing is somewhat cheaper (and there are some very nice houses!). Holgate is similar. If you pick your schools there are good ones - acomb primary and carr, and Manor and Millthorpe secondaries. All the catchment areas are published online in the admissions guide for parents on council website.

Fulford and university side is lovely, you have primary schools like Fishergate and lord deramores, a lovely park, riverside walks and an outstanding secondary. If you're moving from Brighton (she says generalising wildly) you might like the feel of Bishopthorpe Road which has lots of independent shops and is apparently one of the coolest places in England confused

Yes most of villages are very nice and have nice schools- I think the vibe is different so maybe have a look round and see what you like.

New Earswick is Joseph Rowntrees model village and as such is architecturally and in character a bit of a one off. Not sure how much is now private housing and how much owned by the JRt, might limit your choices. Have a vague feeling the school hasn't had the best reputation lately.

Heworth always seems to be very well spoken of though I am never totally sure where it is! But know people who allegedly live there and are happy with the schools smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now