Day in York - local tips needed please

(6 Posts)
HavingAnOffDAy Tue 26-Nov-13 09:02:13

Hi

I'll be in York this weekend, for reasons other than the markets - I have an eBay parcel to collect.

As we're there we thought we'd make a day of it with the DC's (DD6 & DS2).

I know about the Railway Museum & most touristy things, but was just looking for some tips on what we can do and where we can go to have a nice day without too many sharp elbows!

Andasliceofcakeplease Tue 26-Nov-13 20:45:37

I think the centre of York will be busy this weekend. The railway museum sounds like a good idea. If the weather is good you could walk a bit of the walls or play at Rowntrees park ( there's a nice cafe in there too) or the Homestead Park. We like going to Askham Bog - a Yorkshire Wildlife Trust reserve with a boardwalk near the Tadcaster Road and there are good cafes on the Bishopthorpe Road near town. In town you could try the Castle Museum.

HavingAnOffDAy Wed 27-Nov-13 07:22:10

Thanks for your reply smile

I'm really looking forward to the day, but know that DH & DCs will end up grumpy in the crowds!

Will look up your suggestions on a map & plan accordingly smile

SunshineOutdoors Thu 05-Dec-13 01:31:45

Hi, what did you end up doing?

HavingAnOffDAy Tue 28-Jan-14 14:01:38

Oooh, just saw I had another message on here!

We used one of the Park & Ride car parks, got off the bus near The Shambles, walked up to the Christmas markets for a mooch & some lunch then did more touristy stuff; the Viking Centre, Cliffords Tower, the Railway Museum & then back to the markets for a whizz on the carousel.

We had a fab day & I'm hoping to get back to York over half term in Feb.

LocalEditorYork Wed 26-Feb-14 14:27:45

Did you manage to return for half term? Maybe you could leave avreview over in our listings section!

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now