Has anyone heard that Burnholme is closing?

(4 Posts)
2ombie5layer Sat 25-Feb-12 16:42:14

I read today that they need another 30 children to go this coming sept to stay open. They are going to Huntington and Arch Bishops or so I believe.

<wonders where upatdawn lives as I too live close by>

upatdawn Wed 22-Feb-12 23:25:46

This makes me feel awful as Burnholme is our catchment school by my DC go elswhere. I think out of DD's primary year only a handful went on to Burnholme and the majority found other schools.

QED Wed 22-Feb-12 23:15:08

I saw about it in the York Press - there are plans for transfer of the pupils but can't remember quite how they were organised. I think there are only 47 pupils in the current year 7 and I suppose that isn't really sustainable long term.

The article I saw is here - seems that there are a lot more student houses in Tang Hall and Burnholme and so falling numbers for the school. There won't be any new pupils in this September and the current year 8 will move to other schools in Sept 2013 and current year 7 in Sept 2014. The current year 9,10,11 will stay at the school until it closes in 2014.

upatdawn Wed 22-Feb-12 23:03:46

I just caught a glimpse of the front page of the Press yesterday and saw this. It's a shame, obviously it wasn't competing well with other local schools but it's still sad it's closing. Does anyone know what the arrangements are for transfering pupils? Last time I checked I was under the impression most schools were over subscribed so where will extra pupils fit in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now