Where to live, york? harrogate?...

(7 Posts)
sbt2 Sun 11-Sep-11 17:02:36

Hello,

I am looking to move up with my two kids and husband but am unsure where to go to. We are from the midlands and wanting a nicer place for our kids to grow up. I like to take them to groups (3 years and 4 months old), would like a nice primary school and obviously would need to make new friends.

Any ideas on where abouts would be good to look? Its all a bit daunting but we really want to make the move.

Thanks

Lorrainbow Sun 11-Sep-11 22:47:51

Hello,

Both York and Harrogate and surrounding villages are nice places to live. Harrogate, I believe, is more expensive to buy/rent in. York has a lot of places to rent though it's difficult at first to find somewhere that's not sharing a house with 4 students due to it's student population!

sbt2 Tue 13-Sep-11 12:48:09

Ah, thats a good point about students living in york, didnt think about that. Basically want somewhere nice for them to grow up and not too bad when they go out as teenagers. I know you cant control what they do but living close proximity to Birmingham is not ideal. Thought harrogate was more expensive, Anyone else got any thoughts? Thanks!

gillymin Sat 17-Sep-11 23:52:31

I moved to York a few years ago, and think it's a lovely place to live. I rented when I first moved here and to be honest I don't notice the student population at all and find it hard to believe that York has a university. I moved from a much bigger city, where there are a lot of students and their presence was very obvious, but then it was also something that I liked about that City. York is more of a town than a city, and there are a lot of different groups to take children to. So, I think it would be a good choice. Don't know what the employment situation is like now though. I found a job easily, but that was before the credit crunch.

Yirkmum Mon 19-Sep-11 18:46:14

York is a fab city for children. Harrogate also has a lot to offer - but you will get more bang for your buck over towards York.

sbt2 Tue 20-Sep-11 12:34:34

Thanks,both sound nice to be honest thats why we want to move from brum. Think we will go up and visit before the end of september and get a feel for the places more. My friend loves in harrogate, was a bit worried it may be too posh lol. Might put another post re recommendations of areas to visit when we come up. Thanks!

Mum2be79 Sun 02-Oct-11 09:50:33

Lots of villages surrounding York that have excellent bus links into York city centre. I live in a village 30 minutes South on the A614 (just off the A1079) and love York a lot.If I need anything or want to go out, it's always York I go to. It's great for shopping (very good bus links and park and ride) and as someone said, it feels more like a large town than a city. I find it very pleasant - nice people no 'obvious' crime and there's loads to do (as I found out whilst reading a local magazine in the hospital on Monday!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now