Is Salford good for families?

(10 Posts)
Eleanor22 Fri 05-May-17 09:37:20

Hello. We are moving to Manchester from Just north of London and are considering Salford because there are some beautiful houses available in our price range, and the schools nearby are rated 'good'. I know that Salford gets mixed reviews and wanted to ask anyone who actually lives there what you think- if you'd recommend it, and any areas in particular to aim for, or avoid.

Many thanks in advance.
El x

DontjustimagineM30 Sat 20-May-17 13:13:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

flimflaminurjams Sun 11-Jun-17 00:24:32

Salford Borough really is a tale of two halves. Inner City Salford has some really rough parts, like most places I guess. Out towards Worsley is v nice but v expensive.

Lilmisskittykat Sun 11-Jun-17 01:06:19

I went to uni there and lived near lower broughton... V v v rough was a fair few horror stories from students who'd walked through the area and got attacked. We had a police talk in first day there warning us of the area not to walk around late, sit on top deck of bus etc.

Even now years later I lock my car doors driving through Salford. But that's just my experience of it

I accept its probably like most places good and bad and if you keep yourself to yourself you'll be ok

bouncinbean Sun 11-Jun-17 11:12:23

It depends whereabouts! Boothstown, Worsley, Monton and Ellesmere Park are lovely but there are plenty of other parts which are not so nice.

JulieTwo Fri 14-Jul-17 17:38:24

We moved here almost two years ago from London - and live near Ellesmere Park. Like London there are good areas and some that are not so good. Public transport has been an eye opener to me so if you're going to use it, make sure you're near it! Likewise, local shops, cafes and amenities too. Good luck with your move!

Pissedoffinsomniac Fri 14-Jul-17 20:17:24

Hello! Just echoing other posters really- Boothstown, Worsley, South Walkden, Monton, Roe Green and Ellesmere Park are the most sought after areas. Other places like Claremont, Pendleton, Eccles and Irlams on the Height have a couple of nice streets but a lot of it is very dodgy. Definitely make sure you are near public transport! I moved to Walkden 3 years ago and love it- lots of amenities nearby, good primary schools, great green spaces and you can be in Manchester city centre in 25 minutes. Much better value for money and better transport links than south Manchester.

Good luck with your move!

madmomma Tue 18-Jul-17 08:25:35

We're near monton and it's lovely. Never had any trouble. Avoid the salford precinct area and you'll be fine. Brilliantly connected here to everything - there's always lots to do and see. Cheap too.

ChinaRose Tue 10-Oct-17 10:18:37

I echo Walkden. Great houses, good choice of schools and great transport links. Train station is very very handy. There's parks, the Worsley looplines for walks/cycling and plenty of activities going on for families.

randomer Mon 13-Nov-17 19:31:59

Salford people are great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now