Moving to Surrey/Sussex - advice needed

(10 Posts)
lanavoie Thu 08-Dec-16 09:32:46

Hi, DH has been offered a job in Horley (near Gatwick) and we have to move in Feb. I have two young senior school children but we live pretty rurally at the moment. I don't know the South East at all. Can anyone recommend really nice small towns or pretty villages that would be within 45 mins commuting range of Horley itself?

LIZS Thu 08-Dec-16 09:39:49

What is your budget? You might want to look at Horsham or East Grinstead as they have better secondary schools with greater likelihood of in year places. Lingfield is a possibility if you can get places at Oxted School or those in East Grinstead, rather than Oakwood in Horley.

LIZS Thu 08-Dec-16 09:44:34

Alternatively you could venture further south towards Haywards Heath, including Cuckfield, Ardingly, Lindfield and Balcombe, if you want rural but good transport links.

lanavoie Thu 08-Dec-16 10:43:13

Thank you. I am actually looking for independent schools for my boys but first of all think we need to find a good location to base ourselves.

I guess in terms of house budget we've got enough to get a four/five bedroom detached place from what I see in rightmove? But it looks like we'll have to downscale a bit ( a lot)! Currently have lovely big vicarage and land.

tattychicken Thu 08-Dec-16 18:52:06

Mannings Heath, Slinfold, Maplehurst, Nuthurst, Itchingfield, Tower Hill are all nice villages/hamlets just outside Horsham, good transport links, good state and independent schools nearby.

GirlfromLondon Tue 20-Dec-16 20:43:48

Hello,

We are planning to move from Dulwich to East Preston but I am slightly worried as I see less of young people and more older people. Please tell me this isn't the case. We are buying a lovely detached Georgian which backs on to the sea so I'm in love with the place. We were offered a place at East Preston Junior School in the summer when the chain fell through. What is the area like and what is the school like? what is the demographic like. I run an animation studio and and my husband is also running his won company. What type of people are you likely to find? Are there any mummies from the area who would like to get to know each other? I have lived in London all my life but would love to now move to the Sussex coast... Can any of you help and sorry to hijack this thread..

Sparkletastic Tue 20-Dec-16 21:12:26

Forest Row is gorgeous.

GirlfromLondon Tue 20-Dec-16 21:26:29

Where about is that?

EPMum Wed 21-Dec-16 10:01:02

SE9 I think?

Bluntness100 Tue 18-Jul-17 19:23:47

Why don't you look towards horsham? It has many outlying villages that are close to Gatwick but far enough away you're not going to be disturbed by plane noise.

I'd put horsham in right move and look within 5-10 miles. You could also go further towards dorking and look at towns like capel. Cranleigh is still commutable at about 40 mins and has a great private school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now