Help - Horsham primary schools!!

(9 Posts)
lsam80 Wed 26-Oct-16 11:29:51

Hi hoping any Horsham mums out there can help me. I'm moving into the Broadbridge Heath area and wondered if anyone could give me any advice about the primary schools? my daughter is due to start in 2017. From what I can work out only Shelley Primary school is in the catchment area but I was wondering if anyone knew how likely it would be to get into any of the other nearby schools? I went to see Arunside and am due to visit Southwater. Any advice or help would be really appreciated!!

Reality Wed 26-Oct-16 11:54:50

I have friends in Southwater whose children got into Shelley. I don't know whether it works the same way in reverse. Both the Southwater schools are lovely but we chose Castlewood as it's a primary, where the academies are two separate schools (infant and junior).

There are no bad schools in Horsham. However I know two families who have moved their DC from Arunside to different schools so maybe given the choice I'd swerve that one.

lsam80 Wed 26-Oct-16 12:17:13

Hi thanks that's really helpful - do you know why they moved from Arunside?

Reality Wed 26-Oct-16 12:20:53

I know one family was because their DCs special needs weren't being adequately catered for. The other family moved because (and I know this isn't very PC) a lot of the families at the school are quite 'rough' as the intake is mainly a large council estate. hmm

LunaticFringe Wed 26-Oct-16 19:05:52

Warnham or Slinfold are closer than Southwater I think.

themanny Mon 09-Jan-17 11:28:04

We are returning to Horsham from abroad. We thought schools would be an issue as we have two young primary aged. It is, all full.

It looks like I will have to drive miles. One school with spaces is the Southwater academy. We would be out of catchment. Any experience of this school please?

Thanks for any help smile

lsam80 Mon 09-Jan-17 11:59:55

Hi

I went to see this school as part of my search, thought it looked like a great school to be honest. It looked like a lovely school - the facilities were good and had a lot of outside space. My only concern was the size - they take a 4 class intake so this is a bit bigger than other schools in the area.
And being out of catchment area I asked whether the infant school is an automatic feed to the junior and it isn't. They are very closely linked but as I was out of catchment they could guarantee that I would get the junior school as well. Although they did say this hasn't been an issue as yet.
Good luck - I did go and see a lot of the schools in my search so let me know if I can offer any further advice.

themanny Mon 09-Jan-17 12:43:07

Thank you, that is great and scary as that was my next question ref junior out of catchment.

Did you try Warninglid school please?

lsam80 Mon 09-Jan-17 12:59:18

Hi

The lady I spoke to did say it hadn't been a problem so far.
No sorry I didn't try that school, I am moving to Broadbridge Heath so that is a little too far.
I went to see Castlewood School in Southwater too - but that is only a 1 class intake so I am guessing that is full.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now