how can I get 7+ bursary for my daughter?

(4 Posts)
didimdidimdi Sat 15-Nov-14 14:41:01

Hi, I wonder if anyone could give me some advise about my dd who is a gifted and talented as her teacher stated. We live in Guildford area, thank you for your time.

LIZS Sat 15-Nov-14 17:56:14

You would need to approach the bursar at each individual schools, presumably the likes of Tormead, St Catherine's, GHS et al, and find out what their criteria for bursary applications are. Be wary of G & T labels though, they often aren't recognised as such in the private sector and are no guarantee of success. What schools has the teacher suggested, can her needs be met within the state system ? She would at very least have to sit an assessment day and you may find the deadline for applications for 2015 entry has already passed.

didimdidimdi Sat 15-Nov-14 18:52:09

Hi LIZS, thank you for your reply, my DD is going year 1 at the moment she is extremely clever; when she was year r, just after xmas she started reading y2 books, her maths and writing is superb as well. I noticed most of the private schools around Guildford offering bursary 11+ so I am thinking whether it is worth the approaching schools,
She is saying she so bored at school , she is saying that they doing same thing which is simple for her. I am very low income, rent, no car, no asset, just surviving, but I have very clever children, what can do?

LIZS Sat 15-Nov-14 19:00:23

It is very unlikely you'd get a full bursary at 7+, consider if you can really afford to pay at all, especially in terms of extras like music lessons or trips. Also bear in mind the likes of GHS expect pupils to stay until 18 and do not prepare for entrance tests to other schools so if you were to consider moving (ie. maybe you felt another school would suit her better, it made logistical sense or you fancied co-ed for secondary) you might need to think about some tuition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now