Sidlesham school

(7 Posts)
Movingbacktoengland0 Wed 05-Feb-14 08:47:22

Hello - we are moving back to Sidlesham after a long time abroad. We are looking for a school for our 3 1/2 year old. We are considering Sidlesham primary, Chichester free school or Westbourne house. I've done so much research but still so unsure! I don't know too many people in the area so could anyone give a recommendation? I'm looking for a school that my son will be happy in - he's a loving sociable boy so that's my priority! Sidlesham primary looks lovely and its so close by it would be perfect for a few years, but the Ofsted 'parents view' says 43% of parents wouldn't recommend it in 2013. Westbourne house looks wonderful but I worry he will be lost in such a large school so early on. I would really value anyone's advice - Im so lost. thank you!

betweenhillsandsea Wed 05-Feb-14 09:00:58

Congratulations on your move back.... Strange but I don't know anyone who has their children in the new Free School. I guess it's early days so the numbers are still small.

I know people with children in Westbourne House and they seem happy with it. It does have a certain sort of parent, car and clothes that goes with it, IYKWIM! Have you looked at Prebendal if you wanted a smaller nurturing school? We have one child starting there soon, so although I don't have direct experience, I know a lot of people with children there who have been more than happy.

Movingbacktoengland0 Wed 05-Feb-14 10:01:38

thank you so much for replying. Yes I did look at Prebendal and loved it - it did feel smaller and nurturing and I could really imagine our children there. And our daughter who will be 2 in sept could also attend the preschool there - I like the thought of them being together. However my husband wasn't keen - he was worried about the traffic driving in and out of Chichester and other things. since he grew up in the area he already has quite fixed ideas! he went to Westbourne when he was younger but doesn't want our children to go there until they are 7. he is very keen on sidlesham primary or the free school - I am for prebendal or Westbourne now and that is where we are divided! its not a money thing, more he is keen for the children to start off in a smaller school where they meet children of local families. I like the idea of a smaller local school but still want to give them the best start possible. where do you live and do you find a problem with traffic driving in to Chichester?
thanks so much for your advice - I am feeling so unsure. I wish someone would make this decision for us!

betweenhillsandsea Wed 05-Feb-14 16:07:08

Well I am to the north of Bosham so not on the Westbourne side of town. From my experience, you tend to have very staggered rush hours here. Chi High and Bishop Luffa start at 8am so that traffic has gone by the time of the 820 or 830 drop off for Prebendal. The rest of Chichester seems to stick to the normal 9am start time! As I said, we don't start there till September this year and we are in the later years of primary.

Another thing to consider (certainly was a factor for us) is that WH does Saturday school from year 4 or 5 and the pick up times vary for different years, so with two you may be hanging around a bit. There are more boarders at WH so I felt slightly less local kids proportionally ( but it's much bigger so still plenty).

I would imagine staying locally till age 7 is quite a typical plan here. Popular entry points are year 3 and year 5.

Happy to chat more. When are you back?

Movingbacktoengland0 Thu 06-Feb-14 06:09:28

we are back end of June - getting more nervous as it gets closer! Would love to chat more if you don't mind me picking your brains on one or two things! whats your email? mine is Alexandratribe@gmail.com x

betweenhillsandsea Thu 06-Feb-14 08:23:32

dropped you an email....

LocalEditorWestSussex Thu 06-Feb-14 09:58:48

Hi, thanks for using West Sussex local, if you need any other help or advice please feel free to pm me or email me at west.sussex@mumsnetlocal.com I have lived in Chichester for 26 years now so I know a thing or 2 about the area. smile

A huge thanks to betweenhillsandsea for being so kind and helping a fellow mumsnetter and local. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now