Good schools in Warwick and Leamington Spa

(12 Posts)
Crism80 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:07:31

Hello everyone

I have just been offered a new job in Gaydon and are looking to move to Warwick/Leamington Spa area with my wife and our 8 years old daughter.
I am very worried for the little one as she will have to leave her school, friends and all the little things that she do around where we live.
For me it is heartbreaking to know that she will be lost and worried in the new area.
Could I ask you to advise on good areas to live around these 2 towns and good and welcoming schools that we could look into and have her to move to?

Thank you

Mike

IamBarber Mon 24-Apr-17 12:13:38

My knowledge is a few years out of date and limited to Warwick but Coten End was the most popular there. I have friends with kids in Telford in Leamington who are very happy. Hampton Magna is also very good - a bit away from Warwick but easy to get on the A46 to Gaydon.

It is worrying to move to a new area but it is a lovely area for families - my family is moving back soon and we're really looking forward to new schools and activities for our kids.

Crism80 Mon 24-Apr-17 13:55:42

Hi IamBarber
Thanks for suggesting Coten End, Telford and Hampton Magna, I will look into these for sure! I actually found Coten End through ofsted but it is very hard to get into: heavily oversubscribed.
Have you heard about Woodloes primary by any chance?
Move like this is quite worrying indeed, just hope that she will settle in just fine!
What age are your kids? When you will move back over would be lovely to meet up!
Thanks again!

IamBarber Mon 24-Apr-17 14:14:39

Woodles was recently extended and is a big school. I don't really know much about it though. There are a lot of good schools and lovely little villages around Warwick and Leamington. Something that's affected our choices is looking into the secondary schools as well - comes around so quick and we don't want our kids starting all over with no friends at that stage.
My kids are 6 to 9 and my husband is looking into getting a job in Gaydon in the near future!

crunched Mon 24-Apr-17 22:25:27

Bishops Itchington is a good location for young families near Gaydon.

Crism80 Tue 25-Apr-17 00:30:52

Thanks crunched. How is the community around there? I lived in a small village in Dorset few years ago. Neighbours were not really bothered to even reply to "hello". Are people in Biahops more open to newcomers? What is the lical primary like?

Crism80 Tue 25-Apr-17 00:32:20

sorry for typos.. My fingers are definitely too fat for this tiny smartphone keyboard smile

WhereYouLeftIt Tue 25-Apr-17 10:57:57

I'm a few years out-of-date regarding primary schools now, but when DS was that age I can honestly say I heard good things about all the primary schools in Leamington. I had a friend who inspected them all minutely, and listening to her I came to the conclusion that I was fine with whichever school had a place for him. We ended up in Milverton, which we were very happy with. There was a breakfast/afterschool club on site, which DS was happy in, and a nursery not-quite-onsite too.

The Head has changed since he was there, and that can make a massive difference, so I can't say for sure it's still as good as it was; but my son was very happy at Milverton.

crunched Tue 25-Apr-17 13:45:18

As you probably know, a whole new village is being planned around Gaydon. Therefore Bishops Itch is a more established location. Two (not large) estates have been built there so there has been an influx of new young families who seem to have been welcomed by the existing community. Also because it is such easy access to the M40, you get a good mix of people.
Good primary schools in Warwickshire abound in my opinion. When speaking to parents, remember that passing the 11+ is the ultimate aim for many it seems.
As PP have said, Warwick and Leamington are great choices as well.
Wellesbourne is a friendly large village, it has a solid primary or some prefer to pop over to schools in Barford and Moreton Morrell.

Crism80 Thu 27-Apr-17 09:23:03

Thanks for all your replies, I really, really appreciate your input.
As for secondary schools in the same area, would you be able to tell which ones are good to look into? As IamBarber mentioned above, it will come around so quickly. Would be good to know which ones are best to look at. Thanks!

beela Thu 27-Apr-17 17:29:26

Southam College seems to be the secondary that everyone is trying to get into - though I've heard mixed reviews.

The catchment area has recently changed, I believe.

IFartGlitter Wed 24-May-17 09:18:15

Crism80- Coten End is excellent and if you can move to the catchment area you should be able to get in. I know they have spaces in year 3 if it helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now