Newbold, Ettington or Shipston?

(8 Posts)
villagedilema Tue 11-Apr-17 16:09:39

First time posting in the local page. I'm relocating to south warks with my DCs. Does anyone have an opinion on the above areas? My dc are probably going to be attending Newbold primary in September, so was hoping to be close by.
Had wanted a village but now wondering if i should consider Shipston? I can get a lot more for my money there. But a few locals have put off. Is this unfair?
Any other villages I should consider? Is mickleton too far away from the primary in Newbold? I don't want my ds to suffer socially.
I don't know the area at all. This is a move due to a new job.

Many thanks flowers wine

bonita33 Tue 11-Apr-17 21:54:43

I thought you were asking for opinions on baby names for a minute! :-) I'm quite new in this area too, do you mean Newbold, Rugby? If so, this has a really bad reputation but you can get a nice house there. I don't know about the villages you mentioned but I don't think you can tell untill you live somewhere and get a feel for it. Have you visited the area?

MrsBartlettforthewin Tue 11-Apr-17 22:04:05

Shipston has nice areas and not so nice just like anywhere else. Nice little centre with some local shops and pubs/restaurants etc.

Tredington just outside Shipston is quiet, local park and primary school in the village though no shops.

Friends of mine live in Ettington also nice. Really you won't know until you move. We rented for the first year we lived here before buying so we could work out where we wanted to be. Been year 2 and a half years now.

villagedilema Tue 11-Apr-17 22:30:40

Thank you both,
I meant Newbold-on-stour rather than Rugby.
It's the first time I've had to make the decision on my own (recently divorced) and I'm so worried about messing it up! All of the villages look wonderful-its so difficult wink.
MrsBartlett, is there anywhere in your opinion I should avoid? I'm also considering renting after I've sold my current home. Mainly because there are some new developments about to be built and try won't be ready. but then worried house prices will climb

MrsBartlettforthewin Tue 11-Apr-17 22:37:20

Up round the sheldon bosley hub in Shipston is variable also across from the Catholic Church behind the old work house. There is also a newish estate across from the primary school which is a mix of social housing and non - depending which section of the estate your in. We lived there when renting and liked it.

crunched Tue 11-Apr-17 23:04:48

Ettington is lovely though quiet if you are a single parent.

Have you looked at Wellesbourne? Lots of new but nice houses going up, good primary school (if you want smaller, some use Moreton Morrell school), doctors,dentist, toddler meet-ups etc. and still a village!

villagedilema Wed 12-Apr-17 08:53:35

This is all so helpful. Thank you!
Crunched without outing myself, there is a reason I'd rather not live in wellesbourne. Which is a huge shame as I've seen a lot of houses I like! And may be swayed from the above reason.

I'm a bit worried Ettington and Newbold et all maybe too quiet. A colleague suggested Mickleton as being a bit livelier. Any thoughts?

To be fair, I think all the places mentioned are wonderful compared to where we are now. I think it's the anxiety of being sole responsibility for this decision.
The kids have a had a really hard couple of years and I just want them to be happy with what I've picked.
House hunting is supposed to be fun blush

MrsBartlettforthewin Wed 12-Apr-17 21:03:19

Don't know Mikleton, sorry. One of my things when looking at houses is how easy will it be when the kids are teenagers to get places without me being a taxi and how easy is it for me with the little ones now to get toddler groups/ play dates etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now