Relocating to Warwickshire

(13 Posts)
Eboggy02 Wed 14-Dec-16 20:39:12

Hello
My husband and I are are moving from the south coast to Warwickshire very soon with our 5 year old and 2 year old (our house is sold and we have found a few we like!)
Ideally we would like a village feel and plenty of groups etc to make new friends with the children.
So far we are focusing our search on Leamington Hastings/Dunchurch, Shipston on Stour and Kenilworth?

Are these areas that anyone with local knowledge would recommend? It is very difficult without knowing this region.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated?

We think the schooling in these areas is well regarded, but any opinions will also be useful.

Liz

Jojay Wed 14-Dec-16 20:49:56

Napton near Southam is lovely, great community with lots going in for a small village, fab pre and primary school and in catchment for Southam College. House prices are cheaper than nearer Leamington and if you're moving up from down south you'd probably get a lot for your money.

Eboggy02 Wed 14-Dec-16 20:55:01

Jojay - thanks for your reply. Do you know anything about Leamington hastings or Dunchurch, as they are quite close to Napton?

Jojay Wed 14-Dec-16 21:20:52

Yes, Leamington Hastings is a couple of miles away and Dunchurch a bit further. L Hastings is pretty tiny and has an infant school. Dunchurch is bigger, has the junior school and is nearer Rugby. Dunchurch is a pretty little town but I don't know anyone who lives there. Rugby is fairly grotty IMHO but it's being developed a lot. It also has grammar schools as well as comps. Leamington and Warwick are lovely. I don't really know Shipston or Kenilworth but I've not heard anything bad iyswim.

rlswizard Thu 15-Dec-16 08:10:47

Hi, I have Dcs similar in age to yours and we're from leamington but a year and a half ago moved to long itchington. Check the village out! Very commutable and very family friendly. Loads of pubs too yay! Haha

rlswizard Thu 15-Dec-16 08:12:03

I also second rugby being pretty grim.

Eboggy02 Thu 15-Dec-16 08:44:41

Many thanks, for your reply. Will look at Long Itchington. Don't worry wasn't looking at Rugby anyway, want a more rural feeling and have hear it isn't nice.

MissSunnyDundee Thu 15-Dec-16 10:39:10

Harbury is another nice village. Very close to Southam and long itchington.

lisbapalea Thu 15-Dec-16 14:35:29

Shipston is lovely - lots of individual food shops, investment into refurbished wine bars, hotels etc, a good high school, leisure centre, nurseries, library, kids dancing clubs etc. It is quite rural (which I like) and seems to be getting its own turn in the "Cotswold limelight" without being pretentious and poncey.

It's not far from Stratford which is a great town but traffic can be busy. Also close to Banbury which is grim but does have a lot of the usual high street shops, as well as a great train service into London.

Also still only about 30mins from Leamington (much nicer than Banbury!).

Mamia15 Thu 15-Dec-16 15:42:23

I wouldn't live in Dunchurch - the traffic is horrendous and its very much a Rugby suburb rather than a village. Rugby is growing fast but does have an excellent rail service to London and many tend to commute from the surrounding villages. Also you don't need to live in Rugby to get into their grammar schools.

Mamia15 Thu 15-Dec-16 15:45:07

Kenilworth's town centre is also a bit grim but has some lovely parts. Have a look at Birdingbury which is next door to Leamington Hastings.

Eboggy02 Thu 15-Dec-16 15:57:46

Have looked at Birdingbury, but there aren't any houses in that in that village for sale and we have already have sold ours!

Blondienut Fri 16-Dec-16 05:59:28

I live in Dunchurch. Moved here a year ago. Great schools in area- pm me if you want any details. I love it here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now