Mum moving into Furzedown

(8 Posts)
mummy2007 Fri 16-Oct-09 15:54:14

Hi,

I am moving into Furzedown area - currently near Streatham Common station. I have a girl who will be 2 in Nov. I'm a stay-at-home mum (what a honour) but just need to make some mum friends! I have lost contact with all my mum-friends as my child dropped her morning nap, only to have a long aftenoon nap from 2pm. So my friends I use to see at Faylands no longer see me because the time clashes!

Would love to find out more of what happens in this area... any groups of mums that meet that I can be a part of or toddler groups that I can tag along to!

Thank you!

nosferartifartu Tue 20-Oct-09 07:22:31

Faylands also have Stay and Play on a Monday morning, which lots of people go to. And St Albans Church (which is sort of opposite, on Thrale Road, towards the Samuel Johnson pub) has an excellent playgroup on Tuesday mornings.

HTH!

mimsum Wed 21-Oct-09 16:52:35

There's loads of stuff going on - Faylands Avenue children's centre has a one o'clock club, plus the toddler group nosferartifartu mentioned. Allsorts playgroup (Mitcham Lane Baptist Church on corner of Welham Rd/Penwortham) has a drop-in on Mondays and Wednesday afternoons, St James' church has a playgroup on Thursday mornings called Little Fishes (think there's a bit of religious overtones to that one, but nothing too hardcore!). Plus the Family Centre further up Welham Road has a drop-in every morning. It's worth putting her name down for either AllSorts or Family Centre for playgroup proper asap as they both fill up very quickly. You can also find people at the Rec playground and Tooting Common playground.

mummy2007 Fri 23-Oct-09 15:35:14

Thanks so much.. nice to have some responses! And thanks for letting me know to put my child's name down for AllSorts. And feedback on AllSorts? Is the Family Centre good?

Thanks!

mimsum Tue 27-Oct-09 19:39:16

I don't know much about the Family Centre as mine went to Allsorts - when I went round to look at both, I much preferred Allsorts, but some of my friends really rate the Family Centre, so they seem to appeal to people for different reasons

mummy2007 Wed 28-Oct-09 15:11:52

Oh thanks for your reply. Would you recommend Allsorts? I saw that they limit to 3 mornings. I am planning on visiting after the half term.

mimsum Thu 29-Oct-09 23:35:12

yes - my kids loved Allsorts - bit of a shock when they went into nursery with so many more children, much less space and fewer staff ...

Sam, who's in charge now, is lovely

the family centre is smaller, more cramped (some would say cosy) and I didn't want my lot to go 5 days a week (or be charged 5 days a week), but I have friends who rate it extremely highly so I'd definitely go and see both

mummy2007 Mon 02-Nov-09 15:25:17

Oh that's good to know. I visited Allsorts this morning and my daughter is now on the waiting list. I did like it, but wasn't sure about how the outside play area is so near the road (that strangers can see in). Maybe that's just me being protective!

How old are your kids now? Just wondering why you took them out into nursery - or I guess that must be infants school, right? I am new to it all! I heard Pentwortham is good but since my child is a november baby, she cannot start any school nurseries until 2011! That's too long, so I'm glad All Sorts is there for the gap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now