Expecting mums in Tooting/Balham/Clapham?

(19 Posts)
cornichons Wed 20-May-09 13:52:44

Hello,

I'm new here and as it looks like I might have left it too late to join any NCT course (didn't realise you had to be so organised!!) I thought I'd join you to see if there's anyone round.

I'm due on 22nd August, it's my first child and I live in Tooting Bec. I'd love to meet other expecting mums in the tooting/balham/clapham area....

SassJ Fri 22-May-09 01:34:57

I'm expecting my first in October and I'm in Tooting. Not working at the moment, so would love to meet up for a cofee and pre-baby chat (might even manage small amounts of conversation on other topics!!).

cornichons Fri 22-May-09 10:05:31

Yay!

Lucky you, I'm still working at the moment. I start my maternity leave at the end of July and I really can’t wait as I’m getting quite big and tired now. Hopefully I should have 3 weeks of rest before baby arrives, so I should have plenty of time for coffee and chat – if I manage to waddle out of the flat that is...

Before that I’m afraid the first free weekend I have is 20th June (typical me, I ask to meet up with people and I’m not actually free!) - I’m studying and frantically trying to get stuff ready for the baby at the moment. Would love to meet up then if you’re free though.

SassJ Fri 22-May-09 10:41:31

Hiya, Your first weekend off coincides perfectly with the start of my vacation - arghh! We'll be back in the middle of July though, so could definitely get together then. It'll be good to have someone to chat to once the baby comes too.
Where are you having the baby? St Georges?

cornichons Fri 22-May-09 14:13:23

No problem, let's aim for July then. I'm going away for a week at the beginning of the month (not sure if I should at 34 weeks though...) but I'll be back mid-July.

Yes, I'm having the baby at St Georges and I'm a bit scared. I had a minor operation last year and didn't think much of the care there. I'd quite like to visit the maternity ward but I don't really know how to go about doing it. I'm also planning on a water birth but I guess it's not guaranteed if the pools aren't free.

What about you?

SassJ Fri 22-May-09 16:19:09

Same, St Georges. I've never been there for anything other than this pregnancy, but I've been really impressed with the staff so far, and the equipment is bang up to date - did you notice how we didn't have to drink 20 pints of water before our scans?!
They do 2 tours of the wards every week - Monday evenings (I think) and Saturday mornings at (again, I think) 9.30 Just turn up - the meeting point is the elevators up to Fetal Medicine. We're going to go when we get back from hols.
I'm also going to go for a water birth if poss, my sister had both of hers in the water, after spending as long as possible at home before going in. She said it was amazing.
I'm sure you'll be fine travelling at 34 weeks, particularly short haul - the main concern is going into labour during the flight. Also, I'm sure you've already thought of this, but make sure the airline you chose will let you fly at 34 weeks (many do, but you'll definitely need a doctors note). I spent an hour or so last night checking on the restrictions, and on the flight home I'll be just 2 days withing the limit of 27 weeks without a doctors note.

cornichons Fri 29-May-09 17:04:24

Hey,

Sorry, for not replying sooner, been a bit hectic...

Great to hear about St Georges tours, I should give it a try. So far the midwives have been nice I have to say, it's just that yuo never see the same person and it feels a bit impersonal in that respect.

Waterbirth does sound amazing, it's funny because I'm not much of a swimmer usually but I now go swimming about 4 times a week and it feels great. I want to spend as much time as possible at home before going to hospital as I've heard too many stories of people being sent back and forth several times - sounds like hell and we don't have a car.

We're actually driving to France (you may have guessed I was French) when I'm 34 weeks - don't think any airlines would take me... It might be really tiring and a bit uncomfortable to be sat for so long but I've got to go see my parents.

We're going away in a couple of weeks and I'll be 30 weeks (OMG!!!!) but I think the airline was cool with it if the GP was ok and so far I've had no complications so I don't think it'll be a problem.

I'm feeling so big in this heat it's quite uncomfortable. Plus the baby is beginning to take a lot of space in there, which makes eating a bit tricky sometimes and it also means that he really pummels me at times.

How many weeks are you now, 20 something?

SassJ Fri 05-Jun-09 12:53:49

Hello! Hadn't actually worked out that you are French, just thought that you (like I) were fond of the small green pickled variety.....anyhoo....
Am hoping that you're feeling a bit less uncomfortable now it's cooled down a bit. I'm thankfully not too big at all yet (21+4), and am really enjoying the whole pregancy thing - bought loads of new clothes too, which is sooo unlike me.
We found out yesterday that we're having a boy, and we're so excited because we were definitely rather hoping....
It will be lovely to see your parents. Where in France are they? It may be a bit uncomfortable driving that far, but I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine as long as you stop often and drink tonnes of water - and take a cushion for your back!
Swimming hmm - my sister swam loads during her pregnancies, and really loved it, but I've never been much of a water baby really and am totally chicken at going on my own (sad I know, but there you go!), otherwise I might have given it a go. I'll definitely try to get in the water every day in Greece (during our vacation) though, the sea water is lovely and cool and I'm sure it's going to be at least 30 degrees in the shade!

cornichons Mon 08-Jun-09 17:29:55

Hello,

Hope you had a nice weekend.

Congrats on the boy! We’re having a boy too! I’ve very happy, although I secretly wanted a girl but I already love the little sproglet anyhoo and I’m intending on having more than one so no stress.

My parents are in Brittany so I think it’ll take a good day to drive down there – I’ll definitely take a cushion.

Swimming in Greece sounds really nice and relaxing – got a little feta thing at the moment BTW. I haven’t been swimming much last week and I’m not sure about this week as I’ve got some revisions to do and an essay to write... I was awake at 3.30am and up at 4.30am this morning, I just couldn’t sleep. I soooo tired now but must find the strength to go to Mamas and Papas after work. We’re off on holiday on Saturday (France again) and I can’t wait!

SassJ Wed 10-Jun-09 13:05:08

Hi there. Great weekend, although I'm now counting down the days to our vacation (so looking forward to spending proper time with my husband before the baby arrives). Weather's a bit crap though, isn't it?
You're having a boy too! Very cool! And just think how lovely it will be if your next one is a girl - she'll have a big brother to look after her!
Love Mamas and Papas - my parents live up in Cheshire, and M&P have an outlet store up there. AMAZING deals on all sorts of things. Have totally fallen in love with a little fuzzy rocking snail - will go beautifully in the nursery! I bought lots and lots of maternity clothes in there too - crazy reductions and I can never resist a real bargain (lived in NY too long!).
Have a wonderful time in Brittany. I hope the sun shines for you and the journey down is OK. We'll be in Greece for three weeks, so might be gone by the time you get back, but I'll keep an eye on the thread and we can arrange a meet-up when we get back!
Good luck with exams (I assume you're having - hence all the revision?) - what are you taking?

cornichons Fri 12-Jun-09 14:08:01

Hey,

I never made it to M&P in the end... Far too shattered. The plan is to go tonight after work.

Are you American or did you just live NY for work or something?

Yes, I'm studying nutrition part time. It's only my first year though, still 3 to go - assuming I pass this year's final exam that is.

Holiday tomorrow! Hooray!!

Take care

SassJ Fri 12-Jun-09 15:58:52

Hope you have the energy to get to M&P tonight - don't forget the internet (seems to save my sanity on a regular basis!).
I'm English, but I also have a US passport now (married to a Greek-American). So handy to have both, and also to be married to a Greek - makes for great vacations!!!
Really looking forward to our hols now, only a week to go and then three weeks of sun and sea (and being spoilt rotten by the in-laws!). Lovely.
Have a great time in Brittany with your Parents. Hoping you get plenty of time to put your feet up and relax. Totally sympathize with working through your pregnancy. Am feeling very, very lucky that I'm not.
Speak soon.

cornichons Thu 25-Jun-09 09:17:52

Hi SassJ,

You're probably basking in the sun at the minute but let me know when you're back.

One week to go until my week then a crazy week of baby stuff (scan, antenatal classes, baby shopping) and dinner parties (how did I think that it was a good idea??), then a week in France to see my parents (last week was the south of France - our last grown up holiday just the two of us) and then relax, stay put and wait for baby to arrive.

Can't wait to be on maternity leave at the end of july!!!

SassJ Mon 27-Jul-09 15:02:49

Hi there!
How's things with you? Started your maternity leave yet?
Been back in the UK a couple of weeks now, and feeling like we were never away! No, I'm kidding - we had a great time and saw all of our friends and family so really lovely.
Been spending an extraordinary amount of time in Ikea since we came back, buying wardrobes and drawers and various other storage solutions in an attempt to get organized. Feeling like we really need to get moving on the baby stuff soon (bought a starter pack of baby clothes yesterday - woo hoo!), as we have NOTHING yet and having slight twinges of panic!
Drop me a line when you're ready and we could meet up for coffee. Hoping you're feeling OK, I know you're a month or so further on than me.....

cornichons Wed 12-Aug-09 09:36:41

Hey,

Sorry I've been a bit quiet, things took an unexpected turn... I finished work on the last day of July (Friday) and was looking foward to a lazy month of maternity leave but on the Monday I was diagnosed with obstetric cholestasis - a pregnancy related liver disorder that makes mums very, very itchy and carries a risk of the baby being still born. So I was told I needed to be induced, which was my worst nightmare and that I could either choose between thursday and saturday!!! I went for Saturday just so I could prepare myself and buy all the stuff I hadn't yet bought and I ended up giving birth on Sunday...

The birth wasn't that bad although it was fairly violent and quick (contractions every 3 mins from the start, not easy to recover in between). I gave birth vaginally without any intervention (apart from my waters being broken, having two sweeps, 2 prostagladin tablets and being on an oxytocin drip that is) and without a tear...

Would love to meet up for coffee - I haven't been out with the baby yet, not sure I'm quite ready!

Take care

SassJ Fri 14-Aug-09 18:25:46

Hey, oh my goodness - I was starting to wonder if something had happened because I hadn't heard. Bit of a shocker you poor thing, but apart from the initial shock and the speed of it all, sounds like a great birth (I'm a tad petrified of both c-secs and tearing!!). How are you feeling now? How's baby?
I'd love to meet up for a coffee if you're feeling up to it, and I'm 32 weeks now, so not long to go at all before we'll both have little ones. Why don't we switch to email to make it easier to arrange something at a pace that feels OK for you - no rush, only when you feel up to it. Let me know what you think. Ooh, and huge congratulations on becomming a Mum - well done you!!

cornichons Thu 20-Aug-09 19:26:46

Hi,

We're on our second week with baby now and although we don't have a routine per se we seem to be a bit less clueless about everything, so i've managed to relax a bit...

I remember getting really tired and hungry at 32 weeks, how are you doing?

Ok, to switch to email, it might indeed be easier. Have you set up that thing that allows you to send private messages to members?

SassJ Fri 21-Aug-09 17:53:15

Hiya - very glad you're relaxing a bit. You sound much calmer - hoping your hubby is being good too.
I'm feeling my anxiety levels go up every day at the moment (am guessing this is normal with a first baby), and am doing a mixture of excited and freaking at the thought of labour and birth - arghh!
I'm not working so it's really easy for me to sleep in the afternoons (sooo grateful), and I'm defintiely eating more junk lately, although not more volume (I don't think...).
I just set up the CAT thingy and tried to send you a message, but you're set to block. Can you go into your 'my mumsnet' and re-set so the message goes through? No need for you to subscribe or anything.
Speak soon x

cornichons Fri 21-Aug-09 18:08:06

Hey,

I've unblocked the thingy...

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now