It's A Kids Thing closing [sad]

(6 Posts)
CaptainNjork Thu 23-Apr-15 14:27:09

I've just heard that 'Its a kids Thing' is selling up!

Such a shame as it was so handy to have a local softplay for the littler kids - we spent many a wet afternoon there.

Apparently, the buyer is a nursery chain so it will become a day nursery - as if two on Magdalen Road already weren't enough!

You can see the planning application here bit.ly/1ySOnzq and also object if you like.

sw12 Thu 23-Apr-15 14:31:46

That is a shame although there is more soft play competition around these days I guess - Bertie and Boo cater to the same market and have newer sites and equipment.

From the planning app it seems the new nursery is going to be bilingual English/Spanish - don't think we have any of those currently do we? Lots of bilingual English/French but not sure about Spanish?

localparent Fri 24-Apr-15 18:46:41

I agree this is a shame but objecting to the change of use application won't stop It's a Kids Thing going.

The owner told me a while ago that it wasn't very profitable and that they only really carried on because they loved the business. I doubt it was plausible to sell it as a going concern - i.e. as a soft play centre - so I guess thats why they're selling the building instead. Objecting to the planning application on the grounds that it should stay as a soft play centre just isn't realistic if no-one wants to run one there.

Instead, by forcing the building to stay in its existing class of use it will really restrict the type of business we might get there instead.

Remember what the site was before Its A kids Thing bought it? A car lot. Surely a nursery is better than that?

localparent Fri 24-Apr-15 18:46:47

I agree this is a shame but objecting to the change of use application won't stop It's a Kids Thing going.

The owner told me a while ago that it wasn't very profitable and that they only really carried on because they loved the business. I doubt it was plausible to sell it as a going concern - i.e. as a soft play centre - so I guess thats why they're selling the building instead. Objecting to the planning application on the grounds that it should stay as a soft play centre just isn't realistic if no-one wants to run one there.

Instead, by forcing the building to stay in its existing class of use it will really restrict the type of business we might get there instead.

Remember what the site was before Its A kids Thing bought it? A car lot. Surely a nursery is better than that?

LocalEditorWandsworth Thu 07-May-15 20:18:55

Hi all,

We spoke to It's a Kids Thing's lovely owner Claire and whilst they have been approached by a nursery chain but have not yet agreed a sale.

She has promised to keep us posted....

HaydonWomble Fri 18-Dec-15 15:43:39

Personally I didn't rate it. We once won a 'family ticket' to go there in a school raffle. The staff seemeed decidedly 'sniffy' about us uptaking our 'freebie' during the school hols. Moreover, because our DCs were at the upper age-limit, there was a general 'froideur' about the whole visit. We felt unwelcome. Needless to say we voted with our feet and never went back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now