architect/builder recommendations

(12 Posts)
MillionPramMiles Tue 24-Jun-14 14:28:00

Hi - could anyone recommend a design/build company they've used for a house extension or refurb (or alternatively an architect that project managed it for them)? Really keen to get a recommendation if poss rather than choose someone at random and hope for the best....thanks.

localparent Tue 24-Jun-14 19:33:34

If you decide not to go down the design/build route , we used Armstrong Simmonds architecture on Lavender Hill and are using Clara Bee to project manage the build (both came highly recommended from friends of ours they'd done work for).

MillionPramMiles Thu 26-Jun-14 08:34:41

local - thanks, I think I've heard of Clara Bee. How did you find the builders (or did Clara/Armstrong help with that)? And have you had any problems so far with disagreements between the architect and the builders?

Thanks for your help, we haven't got very far with finding anyone so far sad

localparent Thu 26-Jun-14 08:47:35

We started off trying to find builders ourselves but really struggled to find a decent one who was available - there seems to be more work around than builders at the moment.

Then a friend recommended Clara Bee and she took over. She has a list of builders she's worked with in the past so got them all to tender. She also deals with, um, any differences of interpretation between the architects and builders. The downside is that she takes a cut of the overall price of the build but we thought it was worth it, as we feel far more confident that there won't be loads of extra costs as we go along with her overseeing things plus by running a proper competitive tendering process she got the builders quotes down more than I could have.

We found the architects good for the planning/design but weren't convinced they'd be practical enough to deal with the builders directly.

I should say that we haven't finished the project yet so still plenty of time for things to go wrong!

What are you doing? Ours is quite a big job (whole house renovation, extension, attic conversion....) so it may be easier to deal directly with builders if you aren't doing quite so much?

MillionPramMiles Thu 26-Jun-14 11:26:18

Local: thanks. You've described exactly the problems/concerns we have.

It's a rear kitchen extension with some re-building of internal walls. The garden is on two levels so will need some excavation. Also there's only one point of entry/exit to the house so I'm expecting some damage and delays because of that.
LIke you we'd prefer an overall project manager who could run it for us.

Mhunt07 Sun 29-Jun-14 21:57:54

Sounds tricky but exciting! If you're looking for a bespoke kitchen for the new extension, I'd recommend Puccini Kitchens. They're independent and design/supply/fit kitchens to your personal specifications. Reasonable prices too (in my opinion) and a wine fridge thrown in gratis! Might be worth your project manager getting in touch. I spoke to Andrew, great guy who really seems to care about the end result. Andrew@puccinikitchens.co.uk from memory. I love renovating. Good luck with it all!

lenapom Mon 07-Jul-14 18:46:53

Hi there - friends of ours used a great company called The House Works - if you look at their website you'll see lots of lovely houses / projects done in Clapham & Wandsworth. They covered every aspect from start to finish.
I know friends were really pleased with results and their workmanship.
Good luck !!!

MillionPramMiles Tue 08-Jul-14 08:29:08

Lena - thanks. I've got a few coming over and will add THW to the list.

annabrownlow Tue 22-Jul-14 16:40:14

Lena, I used a website called design for me to find our architect. its a bit like a dating site - but to find an architect! (to do your work, not to date... unfortunately)
We met a couple of guys found through the site. They were both lovely but we went with the one with the lower fee in the end (he's quite young and is doing the project on the side of his day job... but had some fab ideas!). He's a qualified architect an going to manage the whole process for us... getting the planning approval and is going to help us choose a builder and sort out the contract with them.
Anyway, the site was a good place to start

harriet38 Wed 29-Apr-15 22:21:07

Hi All,

Matthew worked with us for six months on renovating our house and providing guidance on all architectural and interior design matters relating to a very extensive refurbishment we undertook during 2014. He offered first-rate advice on new floor layouts, construction works, bespoke carpentry pieces, and colour schemes and lighting. The refurbishment involved a complete redesign of the interior, and the addition of a 40m2 glass-roofed side return extension.

We were very impressed with the results, and are very pleased to recommend both Matthew and www.SigmaLondon.com

Harriet

JamesWeston Mon 06-Jul-15 19:18:11

I realise this is old now but if it helps anyone I am happy to recommend Galvin Projects. As an agent in the area I come across a lot of builders and I have also done 2.5 refurbishments myself and I wish I had used Jason. He is a not so well kept secret round here and I have come across a lot of people who have used him (even waited 6 months for him to be free) and rave about him. I dealt with him when I had to sell a house for a divorcing couple and he went above and beyond when helping me deal with solicitors and providing the relevant guarantees and paper work.

WernerAndWernerLtd Mon 13-Jul-15 21:52:54

Hell all,
We are good builders and we can provide plenty of references from Clapham / Battersea area.
Pls check our website for more details:
Refurbishment Company London
Thank you,
Stan

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now