Living and working in Walthamstow

(7 Posts)
dadcooks Thu 18-Dec-14 11:41:15

Hello parents of Walthamstow,

I'm a dad of two planning on moving to the Walthamstow area.
I would like ask all of you for your opinion on two things.

1 - I don't know much about the area so I'm not sure where the best places for small children are i.e. good parks and nice friendly neighbourhoods with other children. Any pointers and tips greatly welcomed.

2- If moving was not enough I'm planning to open a really lovely artisan Restaurant, cafe and creative venue, very similar to The Russet in Hackney Downs www.therusset.co.uk
I wanted to know if this would be something you would welcome? For those of you that know Hackney the Russet has become a true community hub with coffee afternoons for mums and dads and kids classes on the weekends and even film nights and exhibitions in the week.

I would love to recreate this in Walthamstow. I'm hoping to find a location big enough to grow most of the fruit and veg on site and to keep the restaurant as organic and sustainable as possible. The Restaurant and Cafe will do seasonal dishes Barista prepared coffees and home made pizzas all day, along with a wide selection homemade baked goods and pasties. I want the place to be a welcome addition to Walthamstow and a hub for people to meet up and relax. All opinions welcome... Thanks!

CLH1977 Tue 23-Dec-14 15:21:48

Restaurant sounds brilliant. I am in Leytonstone and there is definitely a market for that sort of place here if you change your mind on location!

Goingtothedogs Fri 23-Jan-15 07:17:46

Only just seen this - hope you're still looking back at it for replies.
Your cafe is a terrific idea and I'm sure it would be well supported if you find the right place. Walthamstow is growng and changing quite rapidly - I have been here three years and have seen a lot of good thing happening in that short space of time. We are still in desperate need of nice cafes/restaurants and this venture would definitely be something I would support, as would many others I'm sure.
As for the other part of your question, the village comes to mind immediately, but as I'm sure you've found out for yourself it's very expensive there. Also Lloyd Park (ditto). Coppermill and the St James areas are more affordable, and there have been lots of new families moving in over the past couple of years. There are the allotments there too if you can get your hands on one (I'm sure there's a waiting list!), which would be perfect for growing your vegetables!

Goingtothedogs Fri 23-Jan-15 07:20:22

P.S. Don't go to Leytonstone!! Come to Walthamstow!

LVAloves15 Sat 24-Jan-15 15:54:53

Higham hill is a lovely area close to Blackhorse tube with its own sub culture emerging! Check out the Blackhorse workshop and the cafe there. It has a lovely hub of local shops and businesses and is being called Higham Hill Village due to its village feel.

All of the roads nearby are really nice like Goldsmith, Lancaster and Clarence and I can't recommend Higham Hill nursery enough for its fantastic staff and creative atmosphere. There is a big network of young children here and we can never go to the local park without bumping into someone.

We'd love somewhere like yours to hang out, infact check out the empty building in the park as I hear the council are looking to rent it and we are crying out for somewhere to hang whilst the kids play!

I can't recommend this little corner of Walthamstow enought! Love it!

herbaceous Fri 30-Jan-15 14:48:41

There's an empty park-keepers' hut in Wingfield Park in the village that is crying out to be converted into just what you describe.

No doubt there are a number of council hoops to be jumped through, but it has plumbing and electricity, and being in the village would have a ready made clientele.

CalmWave Wed 26-Apr-17 08:41:26

Hi j
Just wondered if any one knows if this project was started by @dadscook
Would love his feedbavk on the area.

@LVAloves15 which roads or prts of Highhill would you recommend. Considering it as option for our lil family. We looked at The village but there seems to be ao many mini vilages now. Blackhorse Rd Village. Higham Hill vilage. Pros on con would be great from any locals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now