Advice for moving to Walthamstow

(25 Posts)
MollyDefoe Tue 26-Apr-11 23:00:58

Hi all!
DP and I are thinking about moving to Walthamstow, tempted by the affordable property prices, good transport links, and parks. But I don't know it very well, and would love any advice! Our budget is £300K, and we need 3 bedrooms, so we probably can't afford to live in the village. But other than that, which areas would you recommend? I'd like to feel safe walking home from the tube on my own at night; and it would be nice to be close-ish to a park, and to some local shops. Any advice gratefully received!

PlopPlopPing Wed 27-Apr-11 22:31:36

Upper Walthamstow is nice but there is no tube there unfortunately although there is Wood Street train station with trains going into Liverpool Street.

If you were to live near Whipps cross Hospital you would be on the borders of Walthamstow and Leyton. Leyton is not so nice. But from around there you could possible walk to Snarebrook tube station which is on the central line. You would be right on the edge of Walthamstow there though.

finfox Thu 28-Apr-11 15:31:44

Hi,
I live in the village, but sometimes we go for walks in and around Lloyds park. The streets around there look nice and decent. Friend of mine used to live there and always said that it felt safe and quiet for her there. About 15mins walk to the station either Walthamstow central or Black horse rd tube. I also agree with PlopPlopPing that Upper Walthamstow is nice.

PlopPlopPing Thu 28-Apr-11 19:11:39

I know someone who lives near Lloyds park and say it is lovely. The houses in Walthamstow are often Victorian so you get pretty streets.

Adair Mon 09-May-11 10:35:30

I live just north of Lloyd Park and got a reasonable sized house and lovely garden for less than the price of our Stoke Newington flat. Lloyd Park area very nice - full of 1920s/30s Arts & crafts Warner houses (we are Warner) - try to buy freehold though. Tube is 20mins walk away. Lots of buses there though, and right by the North circular. Not really any shops here - post office, chemist, fish n chips and massive sainsburys. Walthamstow high st and enormous market is a 20mins walk - this is prob good for me though smile. Chingford isn't far either (not that I have been).

We moved here a year and a half ago, no regrets at all. Feel free to PM me if you see anything and wonder...

Woodlands Thu 12-May-11 09:49:54

we're in a warner flat in the lloyd park area, i really like it. we need more space and i think weshould be able to get a 3 bed house with garden for under £250k, though it will be 20 mins or more walk from the tube. for £300k you should be able to get much closer to the tube - village borders if not village itself.

BetterThanChocolate Thu 12-May-11 19:12:17

We've just bought a 2 bed house north of the Market in-between Walthamstow Central and Blackhorse Road for under £250. Spent quite a bit of time walking round before we found areas that we liked. The village is a bit pricey but you should definatley be able to get a 3 bed round Lloyd Park or the area we're moving too

Need to find a good nursery for DD, any suggestions?

Woodlands Thu 12-May-11 20:38:05

I've been recommended Sugar Plum Tree on Greenleaf Road which should be near you. Am going to visit soon.

Rubstrol Tue 05-Jul-11 22:12:01

Montessori nursery, penryn ave is great. Nextvdoor to us, upper waltamstow 100 foot garden, double garage + off st parking, 3 beds 5 mins to wood st stn, 10 to village or lloyd park the other way £300 000, bargain

stowmum Wed 06-Jul-11 12:21:31

walthamstow is great! Does anyone know of mother/ baby groups there?

Adair Wed 06-Jul-11 19:33:25

St johns Church, Chingford Rd, 10-12 thursday is lovely - free muffins! And lovely people who cuddle your baby for you while you eat them.

issynoko Wed 06-Jul-11 19:37:31

Rubstrol - wonder if I know you. My two went to the Penryn Ave Montessori -we have moved out of E17 now - the the country. But I did really liked living there. Spend some time wandering around - some streets much prettier/calmer etc than others - some horrible. So have a good recce first. Lots going on there - some really good stuff in the village. And still friends with our lovely neighbours who come and stay now we're rural.

angrytree Thu 07-Jul-11 09:32:27

Adair, can I ask are there any religious undertones at the St Johns Church toddler group? As an atheist I'm really wary of anything that takes place in a church, but really need to start getting out to toddler groups. Thanks!

StowlenAway Thu 07-Jul-11 09:47:47

Aha Adair, I've been wondering if I know you as we live close to each other - I must do as I go to the group too! I will be there this morning - should we have a funny handshake or something to recognise each other?

Angrytree it normally doesn't have any religious content, but the vicar does normally pop in to say hi, and one week recently he did do a little talk.

StowlenAway Thu 07-Jul-11 09:50:54

BTW this is my Tsarina nickname not my normal one.

There is another toddler group on at the Salvation Army on Forest Road on a Thursday morning, 9.30-11.30. It's a bit busier than the St John's one, but has a nice singalong time at the end.

There are various other toddler groups around - I've been adding some of them to the local listings page as and when I have time.

StowlenAway Thu 07-Jul-11 09:52:22

After having looked at your profile, Adair, I've figured out who you are - I'll make myself known this morning!

StowlenAway Thu 07-Jul-11 09:55:55

Sorry, I'm hogging this thread. Betterthanchocolate, have you found a nursery yet? I wasn't mad keen on Sugar Plum Tree. Montessori (and Chapel End) are meant to be good, but they both start from 2 up. We have opted for Higham Hill in the end - DS starts in two weeks time. I have heard so much great stuff about it, I'm really pleased with our choice.

Adair Thu 07-Jul-11 10:13:16

Eeekk... a real-life Mumsnetter! Everyone usually looks at me like this hmm when I mention it... we are on our way, just slowly... see you soon <wondering>

angrytree Thu 07-Jul-11 11:23:29

Thanks for the info Stowlen. I've heard good things about the Salvation Army one but could never remember when it was. We're near Lloyd Park too, so will give one of them a try next week.

I'll keep an eye on the listings page. I'd love to hear about other morning groups - we hardly ever make it to the Lloyd Park Centre one as I find by the time we've had lunch, done a nappy change etc it's too late to go.

BetterThanChocolate Sat 09-Jul-11 15:20:18

Hi Stowlen (Tis I BetterThanChocolate with my new Tsarina nickname smile )

Not found a Nursery yet. Due to vist Sugar Plum next week and also going to pop into Lloyd Park and Higham Hill (although when i spoke to them they said waiting lists were big.) Also a friend mentioned one down Coppermill Lane that i want to check out. I've been a bit laid slack but as im starting work again this week i better pull my finger out. DD currently with Grandparents

We've checked out a few Toddler Groups. The Limes is fantastic. Its on a Tues and Thurs from 9.30-11.30. Amazing outside space, softplay and sensory room. DD loved it. #5 membership for the year and then #2 persession.

We've also been to one at Mission Grove Children's Centre, it was okay but the room felt very small and cramped as it was raining so all the kids couldnt go outside.

Hoping to check out Lloyd Park and the Walthamstow Toy Libary this week.

Will try and add stuff as we find it

Pumpernikel Sat 09-Jul-11 15:20:58

Oops! I didnt use my new Tsarina name but hopefully should now

StowlenAway Sat 09-Jul-11 15:53:03

yup, waiting lists are pretty horrific. We got on the waiting list for Lloyd Park (we live just over the road) in Feb 2010 when i was 16 weeks pregnant, and they have said we might get a place in January, possibly. Luckily we didn't realise they'd put us on the Higham Hill waiting list at the same time, so we got to the top of the list just as we started looking.

I've heard good things about the Limes, never been though, and i'll be working on those days from august onwards. We went to the under 18 months session at the toy library a couple of times but it (like the Lloyd Park group) clashes with naptime.

good luck with work!

ScarletandPearl Tue 19-Jul-11 16:12:04

Hi ladies ,
We have recently moved into the area near St James Street Station. There seems to be a lot of families moving into the area , lots of house renovation on our road.
I have been meaning to go to The Limes, is it any good?
There is also Low hall children's centre on Queen's rd that has a lot going on.
Barn Croft School have a stay and play group on Wednesday morning 9.30 - 11 but thats closed for summer now. Will start again second week in September.
There is also Walthsmstow toy library in the village but I haven't been there yet.
Think the library have a few things on in the mornings as well.
Can I ask is the forest road group in the Salvation army shop? Sorry if that is a silly question. smile

Fiolondon Tue 30-Aug-11 10:40:50

Hi. I've lived in e17 for about 12years and have lived in 3 different areas. I started out in a 2 bed flat in Lloyd park. it's a lovely area but to get a 3 bed you probably need to find a house that's had the loft done or be prepared for a longer walk to the tube. I think there are houses on badlis rd and winns ave, but I'm not sure on current prices. my boyfriend bought down coppermill lane which is mainly houses with some flats. Edward road is nice too, but mainly flats I think.... the area is ok - there was a problem for a while with teenagers at night in coppermill play park which made walking past at night a bit worrying in the dark, but that all got sorted out with some new equipment and better hedge cutting! the primary school is very oversubscribed and you need to live close to get in. but I would look at the flood maps on the environment agency before moving here.... It's not flooded for a long time, but in theory the area to the west of blackhorse rd is a flood plain. we currently live in a house in what our neighbour calls) pretoria village which consists of the small group of warner houses bounded by forest rd, blackhorse rd, palmerston rd and mission grove. There are also lots of 2-3 bed Victorian houses around here. its 5 mins from the tube. there are 3 reasonable primary schools nearby and a reasonable secondary north of forest rd or buses to the academy. Also 5 mins to the high st and mainline rail to the city. I like this area a lot and its probably the safest feeling area as it is closest to tube and main roads so there's always someone about. When I moved here I drew a map with a 10min walk radius to the stations and I walked the streets in those areas to see the ones I liked. If I was looking for a family home I would check out all the ofsted reports too and find out the school catchments. Although I'm not keen on living in the village (church path too creepy for walking up alone at night....) it's probably best placed for local schools with Henry maynard and walthamstow girls having good local reputation... but don't know what you would do for boys there so it may not be great for co-ed. Anyway don't do what we did and buy a house to have kids in and then think about schools! Factor it in as it's too expensive to move. Also don't get hung up about village location - e17 is pretty compact and we can walk there in 20mins which is no probs for a nice meal out. I would probably avoid markhouse rd and queens rd area as they are more deprived. I think I found an nhs website for waltham forest once which had deprivation maps so you can see where there would be more anti-social behavior from them and avoid those areas! Sorry to sound like snob, but good neighbours are essential for a press free life! We bought the 'problem' house in our street and the neighbours welcomed us with open arms! So just look around, check out the state of the front gardens and knock on prospective neighbours doors if you find a nice place. All up we have enjoyed living here and the great transport links for work in town. Good luck.

StowlenAway Sun 04-Sep-11 13:30:41

great advice fio!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now