Independent Schools Near Mirfield

(14 Posts)
ilovehumous Mon 03-Apr-17 08:41:25

Hi All, we're relocating to Mirfield from the Middle East at the end of June. Can anyone recommend an independent school nearby with a good reputation. Looking for small class size and a friendly atmosphere. Our 7 year old has never lived in the UK and we want to make the transition as easy as possible. Have looked at Heathfield/Rishworth near Halifax but it seems a bit of a trek... Thanks in advance

shrimponastick Fri 28-Apr-17 19:04:05

Look at Huddersfield. There is The Mount School

The Mount

There are good state schools in Mirfield. Lower Hopton Primary got good ratings this time around. There are others too which are okay.

Mirfield isn't a large town - so you would need to travel for an independent.

Huddersfield and Halifax are one side - but on the other you are in Batley/Dewsbury - I don't know of any independent schools at that side of town.

Wakefield is another option, but again a bit of a drive. Very good primary and grammar school there.

shrimponastick Fri 28-Apr-17 19:06:27

@ilovehumous

tagging you this way to alert you to a reply - as it is a while since you originally posted.

BikeRunSki Fri 28-Apr-17 20:23:53

Heathfield would be a hideous trek. It's not actually that far, but it involves a very busy stretch of motorway. The Wakefield Grammar School Foundation and Silcoates are not far from Mirfield, and both have Junior Schools.

The Mount and Huddersfield Grammar are both -ta dah! - in Huddersfield and have Junior Schools. I have a friend with a child year at The Mount who finds to class sizes too small (no chance for team games, many friendships, teamwiring, and her child's class is predominantly the opposite sex), and several friends who havn't got a bad word to say about HGS.

But as mentioned above, there are some excellent state schools locally.

Desperad0 Thu 25-May-17 12:29:50

Did you find anywhere? have you looked at Rastrick Independent? It's not too far and a lovely small school

Hoppinggreen Thu 25-May-17 14:29:30

My DD is at HGS and loves it
The Mount is being threatened with closure due to lack of pupils

namechangenel Thu 25-May-17 17:49:03

I'd agee with the suggestions of the Wakefield schools ( QEGS/WGHS or Silcoates) and Huddersfield Grammar. Such a shame about the Mount closing ( outing myself perhaps but I'm an ex-pupil!) There's also Bradford Grammar which is probably further than Wakefield or Huddersfield. I've past Dale House school in Batley, but don't know anything about it or anyone who has sent their children there!

As mentioned, the Mirfield primaries are very good and you've got the option of the non-fee paying Heckmondwike Grammar at 11.

Desperad0 Thu 25-May-17 21:28:14

I think bgs is too far, we're very close to there and the nearest pig up is Bradley bar. Qegs is easy though

Hoppinggreen Tue 13-Jun-17 12:21:32

The mount has now been sold to private buyers so it looks like it will stay open

Zebra31 Tue 11-Jul-17 13:13:34

Gleddings has an excellent reputation

www.thegleddings.co.uk

I would avoid The Mount. Nearly closed and has not got the best academic result.

coldflange Tue 18-Jul-17 08:53:58

@ilovehumous How have you got on with your search, OP? Any joy yet?

Zebra31 Wed 19-Jul-17 08:26:04

ColdFlange. I was wondering whether to contact the other Wakefield/Kirkless and start a spesic thread. It's very quite on here.

coldflange Wed 19-Jul-17 10:14:08

It is vert quiet on the local boards.

Perhaps just post on the main board under Education? You could also link to this thread?

ilovehumous Thu 10-Aug-17 20:11:16

Hi All, so sorry I didn't respond earlier to your comments, for some reason I didn't see them....bit of a technology numpty!! We decided on Hipperholme Junior in the end. Couldn't get a year 2 place at a local Mirfield school as they can't break max class size for that year. So far it's working out well but slightly more challenging on the social front as neighbourhood kids all go to our nearest state school. Joined Beavers etc so it's small steps at the mo.
Thanks for all your advice ladies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now