Pony riding for 5 yr old beginner near Guildford?

(14 Posts)
YumYumMummy Mon 14-Jun-10 23:04:40

Can anyone recommend where I can go near Guildford to introduce my 5 year old to pony riding? A real animal lover but has been nervous around horses. Did a 5 minute ride at a farm recently and has been asking for more ever since. A taster or trial session with a place geared up for kids would be ideal, with a view to regular lessons after that. Thanks!

Ell32009 Thu 15-Jul-10 15:50:02

Hi - met someone from the Shetland Pony Club (www.shetlandponyclub.co.uk) at Hatchlands fete last week. They seemed very nice.

I asked about lessons and think she said they start from age 4yrs. If your 5 yr old is nervous maybe good place to start with small ponies!

Not quite sure where they are based but I think she said not far from Guildford.

YumYumMummy Tue 03-Aug-10 23:39:16

Thanks Ell - only just seen your message. I will check them out.

McSonj Fri 03-Sep-10 21:04:35

Hi - Can't recomend Shetland pony club enough, it's brilliant. They are based between Cobham and stoke d'abernon (think it's shetlandponyclub.co.uk for details). Have taken my 2 year old twice and she loved it. Very child friendly outfit, they make a big deal out of making sure the child feels comfortable with the ponies - grooming / feeding etc and then a gentle walk through a field. It's pricey from £20 per session, but well worth it i would say

Happymum22 Sun 30-Jan-11 14:36:07

Sheltland ponies I agree, also one of my DDs rode at white lane farm for a few years, its just outside guildford, dont know if they will do 5 year old though. Or even if it is still open tbh!! But very friendly woman ran it, good instructors my shy DD was happy to be left there and improved huge amounts very quickly.

MissRedIndie Sun 20-Feb-11 20:10:00

White Lane is still open, I ride past it quite frequently, they do have some little ponies there but not sure what age kids they take. My friend used to be an instructor there and she thought the place was good.

Snowdropbooks Wed 06-Jul-11 17:23:35

Steadmans stables in Wood Street village a nice family run outfit

Mandy2003 Mon 22-Aug-11 21:02:04

Shey Copse at Pyrford is the centre that the Council use for horse riding holiday courses so it must meet all the current regulations:

Here

hf128219 Mon 22-Aug-11 21:22:16

It's just a shame that the information on their website is so old!

Mandy Have you been to Shey Copse?

PorkChopSter Mon 22-Aug-11 21:28:45

Hf <waves> I've heard good things about it but not actually been.

hf128219 Mon 22-Aug-11 21:32:22

Thanks PorkChopSter <waves back>

It looks nice from what I've seen walking near by.

Mandy2003 Mon 22-Aug-11 22:14:07

No, I haven't been there just noted the name from the Fun Attack booklet. I have been to Smarts Heath (Mayford) when I was a child but not sure if there's still a stables there.

hf128219 Tue 23-Aug-11 05:07:13

Mandy - thanks.

meagle Tue 23-Aug-11 20:48:39

Hi, my 9 year old rides at Holistic Horse and Pony Centre in Ockham, which is lovely. The instructor / owner Wendy is a brilliant teacher, and great at giving confidence to nervous riders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now