Thinking of Claygate

(8 Posts)
Cocoab Mon 04-Jan-16 20:30:46

Hi all

We're currently in South West London and thinking of moving to Claygate. We've driven round a few times and really like what we've seen but I'd love to hear from anyone who knows it well/lives there!

I have two kids under 6 so would love to know if it's family friendly. Also very interested to hear any views on Claygate Primary - my daughter is in year 2 and very happy at her current school so we're a bit scared about moving her! Also do many places become available within year groups??

Anything you can tell me would be much appreciated!

Thank you

SoManyUdders Mon 04-Jan-16 21:22:54

It's a lovely little village, and very family friendly. Some lovely shops in the High Street, nice pubs (the Hare & Hounds has a great kids play area for the summer), and an active community.

I can't really advise you on the schools as ours goes elsewhere, but I do know that the catchment areas are very small, so you have to investigate thoroughly to make sure that you are in one!

Good luck in choosing.

Cocoab Mon 04-Jan-16 21:39:29

Thank you so much for replying so quickly - and with such good feedback! ;-) Yes we are a bit worried about the school situation - it sounds like even if you are in the catchment area you still may not get a place! I will have to do some more investigating.

Thanks again!

SoManyUdders Tue 05-Jan-16 19:02:23

There are a number of private schools in the more extended area if that is an option, but we're happy living here. We moved from SW London as well when we had our little boy, as we needed a garden, and it wasn't an affordable option where we were!

The facilities are good, although the traffic can be bad at school dropping off and picking up times as there are pretty much only three routes into and out of the village.

MrsJoyless Tue 05-Jan-16 19:24:40

There have been issues with secondary school places over recent years. Currently, Claygate Primary is a feeder school to Hinchley Wood high school, so if you can get into the primary you will be fine. But you really must do your research because I know a lot of parents who were forced to go private at secondary.

Cocoab Tue 05-Jan-16 21:12:30

Thank you both. Just a question on Hinchley Wood - if you're at one of the feeder primary schools does it pretty much guarantee a place at the secondary school or is it still dependant on demand? Sorry, not sure how it all works!

Good to know re traffic too...

Thanks again.

MrsJoyless Tue 05-Jan-16 23:42:23

Have a look at the HW school website. Under current rules, siblings have higher priority than feeder schools and you have to live in catchment as well as be at the feeder school. There is a map. If there is oversubscription, it will be ranked on straight line distance from your house to the school. So it looks like you will have a tiny search area for a potential house.

Cocoab Wed 06-Jan-16 09:03:36

Ah, it does not sound an easy task then to find the perfect property. Also doesn't seem like there's a lot of movement in the house market either...more thinking to be done!

Thank you for the info!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now