train stations where you can get a seat in the morning

(5 Posts)
hg1970 Fri 04-Dec-15 09:34:33

Hi there

I work in London but am thinking of moving out of the city and commuting. I was considering Surrey, but if I'm going to commute I want to be able to get a seat on the train. I generally leave between 7.30 and 8.30 in the morning. Can any commuters give me some advice on stations where it's possible to get a seat in the morning rushhour (and are nice places to live)? Any tips much appreciated. Thank you!

French8 Thu 10-Dec-15 17:43:22

Hello,

I don't commute to London very often by train - but when I do, I have notice that the trains after 6.30am are all super busy (last time at 7am, I took the train at Guildford Main Station with my 6 year old daughter and we were standing all the way to London!)
Therefore, now I take the "slow" train from Guildford to London (at Guildord London road station) and until we get to Effingham, it is quite quiet and we always have a seat.

Hope this help smile

moggle Tue 15-Dec-15 13:21:32

The stations between Woking and Surbiton can be a decent bet, because anyone coming from Woking into London would get a fast train. West Byfleet and Walton on Thames are fairly busy as there are also faster trains from those stations; Byfleet and New Haw, Hersham, and Esher are the others. I used to commute from Hersham up until 2 yrs ago, and used to get a train between 8-8.30 and almost always got a seat. All seats are gone by Surbiton.
However in the evening you need to get to Waterloo a good 5 or 10 mins before scheduled train to get a seat even on the stopping services.

suitcaseofdreams Thu 17-Dec-15 12:58:43

I used to get a seat on the 7.28am from Farnham to Waterloo but it takes an hour to get to Waterloo and trains only go every 30 mins so not very flexible. Farnham is a nice place to live though :-)
agree both Guildford and Woking VERY busy - I commute occasionally from Woking now and rarely get a seat in rush hour - it is however only 20-25 mins on a fast train so I don't mind too much (although I probably would if I was doing it every day)

hg1970 Mon 21-Dec-15 17:26:05

Thanks all for your replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now