Where to live in commuting distance of Weybridge

(10 Posts)
StuntNun Wed 18-Nov-15 14:05:55

My DH has been offered a job in Weybridge. We live in Northern Ireland and don't know Surrey well at all. I'm looking for some recommendations of places that would be suitable for commuting to Weybridge for a 9-5 job. He realises that his commute is likely to take an hour or more. We have DCs of primary and secondary school age so it would need to be somewhere with good schools.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give me some ideas.

rareflowers Wed 18-Nov-15 15:23:49

Why does he think his commute will take an hour or more? Why commute at all - Weybridge is a very nice place to live. Is it that your budget won't stretch to Weybridge prices? If you provide more info about budget/house requirements and also your school requirements - single-sex, private/state, Faith etc. people will be better able to advise.

StuntNun Wed 18-Nov-15 15:43:43

Yes, he's expecting a long commute because of property prices. Northern Ireland has much lower prices and we have four DCs so need at least three bedrooms, preferably four. School requirements are just for state schools of reasonable quality.

dorkingmum2 Wed 18-Nov-15 15:59:24

Weybridge and Cobham are very expensive areas, as you'll see if you look on RightMove, but there are plenty of areas not far away where you could move to at more reasonable prices. Have a look at Byfleet and Woking. The traffic in Weybridge can be nightmarish during rush hour, but you'll be fine for schools and Surrey is generally considered to be a very desirable area to live.

rareflowers Wed 18-Nov-15 18:26:02

Can you give us an idea of budget? Byfleet definitely cheaper for houses, Woking maybe but some areas can be just as expensive as parts of Weybridge.

StuntNun Wed 18-Nov-15 19:13:26

Given our salaries and the equity we have in our current home for a deposit I suspect £500k is a reasonable budget for us.

AddlestoneReVampPlease Wed 18-Nov-15 19:17:13

Addlestone and Byfleet are the cheapest areas to live in locally.

Addlestone is easily walkable - could drive but it's hideous traffic.

How close is his place of work to Weybridge station? Schools is an issue because there is a squeeze on places. What age are your DC?

AddlestoneReVampPlease Wed 18-Nov-15 19:23:37

New Haw has good infant, junior and secondary schools and you could afford something like this

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36418356.html

You could either drive to Weybridge or walk to West Byfleet station and get the train.

Lindy2 Fri 20-Nov-15 22:51:26

Byfleet, Addlestone, New Haw, Chertsey. All nice areas that should be within your budget and all close to Weybridge.

AddlestoneReVampPlease Sat 21-Nov-15 13:11:35

You do need to consider school places if you're going state though. Chertsey is currently a no-mans land for secondary unless you are catholic.

There is generally a shortage of state places so I would speak to individual schools and see what they have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now