Where to give birth in Surrey?

(4 Posts)
pickles2010 Fri 22-May-15 11:42:30

I am moving to Surrey this summer after 5 years in Asia. Am due with my third child and need to figure out where to have the baby. Can anyone recommend private hospitals/OB's in Surrey? I need to have an OB delivery. Would it be too far to travel to London to deliver (for a preferred OB based at Chelsea Westminster/Kensington Suite). Any advice is very much appreciated!

layla888 Mon 01-Jun-15 13:14:35

I've been under consultant care with my 3 pregnancys at Frimley Park Hospital and couldn't fault the care there.

fairgroundsnack Tue 02-Jun-15 09:23:40

If you are planning an induction or CS then travelling into the Chelsea and Westminster would be fine. However if there is a possibility of a fairly quick labour then you would need at least a local contingency plan. You could look at the Royal Surrey in Guildford, they do private care and I have heard good things about Lesley Roberts who is a consultant OB who takes private patients.

Bekabeech Mon 08-Jun-15 07:57:39

Are you paying or are you relying on insurance? My insurance would only pay out if medically necessary, and only then for the Portland in London (we went for NHS with a private room to recover in).
All care in the NHS is under the guidance of an obstetrician, although if you have a straightforward pregnancy you may only see them once. In your case you could ask to see a obstetrician asap.

If your labour will not start until induced/cs then you could go into London, or if like people in remote areas you are willing to go and stay close to the hospital until labour starts.
But otherwise it won't be practical at the best it would take an hour or so to drive to that area, at that is probably at 2-4 am. It could take 2-4 hours depending on traffic.
To compare my third child was delivered 45 minutes after the start of labour, and we only made it to hospital (10 minutes non-congested driving) just in time, even though I was blue lighted in an ambulance.

If you are worried that you are not entitled to free NHS care, I wouldn't worry, they will sort out the payment later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now