Moving to Epsom

(6 Posts)
ElleDubloo Sun 15-Feb-15 12:02:13

Hi all. My DH and I are looking to move to Epsom. We're currently living in a flat in West London and looking to buy a house that would be within school catchment areas for our DD (and also a short distance to the train station) - DD is currently still tiny (less than a year old).

Would be great if anyone could pass on some advice/guidance as to ideal locations. Our budget is up to around £650k. We have seen a house on Dorking Road that we quite like but unsure as to whether this would be a problem in terms of being within catchment area for primary schools.

It's within 1.1 km of St Martins (closest primary). The catholic school is actually closer but we are not catholic so I guess that rules us offside.

If any locals could give us a steer as to whether it is advisable to live on Dorking Road, that would be massively helpful.

We're also concerned about crime and any gang culture especially along Dorking Road. We're non-white so are we likely to be racially abused in Epsom (unsure about racial diversity in Epsom)?

Thanks in advance!

MNKingstonSurrey Mon 16-Feb-15 10:46:41

We have shared your post on Twitter (@MumsnetSurrey) so you'll hopefully see feedback shortly.

Local Editor

DIYwannabe Wed 04-Mar-15 13:52:20

Dorking Rd is the A24, which is a very, very busy road. That being said, lots of people clearly do live there.

Epsom is more racially diverse than most other areas in Surrey, bar Croydon.

My friends daughters - mixed race - live further out than Epsom, and have been pulled over by police to have their licence and car 'checked' a number of times when their 'white' friends never have. But haven't had problems otherwise.

Skywalker7 Sun 29-Mar-15 20:11:04

The nicest, and most expensive parts of Epsom, are the south along Dorking Rd and going towards Epsom College and the Downs. The west side along the B280 is very pretty and expensive too. The only rough area in Epsom is the Longmead Estate. Dorking Road is a pleasant enough area but the road is very busy. The nicer The town centre has a few drunk teenagers hanging around it at night but it is much quieter than places like Kingston. I've been out there lots and never had trouble. There are some decent pubs and restaurants for adults.

becstar77 Thu 23-Apr-15 16:53:04

St Joseph's RC school is very difficult to get into if you're not RC - your only safe bet there is almost certainly St Martins, which is a good school with a good reputation - you're also not that far from some good prep schools.

Dorking Road is a busy road at the Epsom end, it's one of the main roads into town, which could be a plus or minus depending on what you're looking for.

Stamford (out along the B280, see above ^) or College Wards are better placed for greater variety of primary schools, although Stamford is nearer the Longmead Estate (not TOO near!) - I concur with Skywalker's views on that area of town! You'll get a much smaller house for your £££ in College Ward, but £650 will buy you a nice house in SW, and it's near to Epsom Common and Horton Country Park, which are both lovely. There are also the newer estates in the Horton area on the old hospital sites - Livingstone Park, Noble Park, St Ebbas area... if you don't mind new builds, and a mixed demographic - I know some people do.

The teen nightlife isn't a huge problem - there are nice restaurants, and a few bars, for the more adult visitor.

I don't think you'll get any racial problems in Epsom tbh, it's quite diverse, and quite educated, but I appreciate I'm saying that as a white person.

Woods127 Wed 12-Apr-17 07:53:32

Hi, hoping this thread is still open?
I'm looking to move to Farriers Road by Kiln Lane, Epsom, walking around seems ok but when I looked on the map, I saw a gypsy caravan site round the back behind the car dealerships. Does anyone know if it's safe around there? Obviously I wouldn't venture down that road but keen to know if the Farriers Road 'estate' is safe place please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now