Moving to Surrey

(9 Posts)
kiwikidsmummy Thu 04-Sep-14 22:45:02

Hi all,
We are looking at moving our family to Surrey (North of the M25 preferred) in the hope of a larger house (more for our money) and a quieter lifestyle but with good rail links to Waterloo (Max 45 mins travel). Would love an area with some character, good family activities and a local rugby club (to keep the old boy happy). Our children are 1 and 3 years so we will be looking for good nurseries and primary schools for next year.

So far we have looked at Walton-on-Thames and Hersham but have seen recommendations for New Haw, Byfleet, Addlestone.

Any recommendations for new areas, experiences of the areas mentioned above, would be greatly appreciated.

kiwikidsmummy

kingstoncherry Mon 08-Sep-14 22:09:05

Thanks for posting, we've shared your status on our FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/MumsnetSurrey

due to be broadcast during the evening 11/9

You'll hopefully receive feedback shortly.

Local Editor

Banter Tue 09-Sep-14 20:48:13

Have a look at Bookham, which is just south of Leatherhead. Polesden Lacey Infants is outstanding, and there's a playschool onsite. The village is large, so it has a thriving High Street and plenty of activities/clubs for children and parents. It is surrounded by fantastic countryside and there are quite a few rugby cluns nearby, including Effingham.

Madaboutcake Fri 26-Sep-14 14:26:18

Have a look at Chobham (yes, spelt like this and not to be confused with Cobham). it is semi rural, but close to Woking where trains are less than 25 minutes. It has an excellent rugby club. Infant schools are great. Good private schools too

ritadpgoncalves Fri 03-Oct-14 10:44:33

Hi All,
I’m planning to move with my husband to Surrey and I was wondering if you can give me any advice on nice areas. We live in London currently but we think it’s time to get a better house for our money and escaping from the stress of the big city it’s not such a bad idea. We are a couple with no children yet and we would like to find a nice place close to farmers’ markets, green areas and some shops. We both work in London so we are also looking for areas where we can have a short drive to the train station and the journey to London don’t takes us more than 45 mins.

Many thanks.

AddlestoneReVampPlease Fri 03-Oct-14 10:49:35

Weybridge, Woking, West Byfleet all have fast trains into Waterloo but traffic will be busy around the stations etc.

ritadpgoncalves Fri 03-Oct-14 11:13:53

Thanks! Weybridge caught my eye so I will take a look around.

londonlivvy Mon 13-Oct-14 21:25:30

try Claygate. Large village with station near the town centre (not the case with weybridge, Walton etc). Very friendly. good schools etc.

MrsSlats Thu 06-Nov-14 14:05:19

If you stick to towns on the Portsmouth train Line (Guildford, Godalming) you can still be 45 minutes to Waterloo as the trains are speedy non stop ones. Just a thought if you are having no luck with places inside the M25

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now