Moving to Guildford - Stoughton!

(8 Posts)
SJLR2011 Mon 01-Aug-11 22:29:57

Hi Mums,
I'm looking to move to Guildford with my 6 month year old and husband and have seen a lovely house near Stoughton.
Can anyone tell me what the area is like please? I've heard that Stoughton Infant School is great but what about the secondary's?! Any guidance would be much appreciated! Thank you. X

SJLR2011 Mon 01-Aug-11 22:32:07

That's six month old... not month year!! smile

ExpatHKMum Tue 02-Aug-11 16:29:59

GOod luck! There are some very good secondary. At the moment George Abbot and I think County are quite well spoken of for state schools. No personal opinion yet, but hear good things. Sorry don't know about private.

All the best!

SJLR2011 Tue 02-Aug-11 18:21:43

Thank you very much!

If anyone else has opinions on the Stoughton area, it would be much appreciated!

X

Issy Wed 03-Aug-11 19:11:13

I think Stoughton would be too far from George Abbot to get a place. Not sure about County. Your nearest secondary school would be Christs. http://www.christscollege.surrey.sch.uk/ This school had a poor reputation in its previous incarnation but has recently been rebuilt and renamed and seems to be on the up and up.

mummytime Thu 11-Aug-11 06:46:50

I'd have thought you would have been in King's area. At present definitely too far for George Abbot or probably County. There is a huge pressure on school places now and coming up, but the county council will have had to do something before your LO is secondary age. If they are 6 months you have years to move in before secondary any way, and schools do change a lot over time. (Of course if you were Catholic it would be easier.)
At present there is a reason Stoughton is cheaper than some other areas of Guildford. But it does have a very good chippy, and is close to Tescos etc.

sedster Sun 28-Aug-11 19:49:46

If you can get into St Joseph's you would be sorted. It's rated excellent by Ofsted and is a feeder school for St Peter's Comprehensive which I believe is also rated excellent by Ofsted. St Peter's also got better GCSE results this summer than George Abbot and is smaller. I have friends who have worked at George Abbot and it is not without its problems so don't write other schools off in its favour. I aslo know a few people with children at Christ's and a teacher there and they all speak highly of it.
I've lived in the Stoughton area for 11 years now and would recommend it - lots of families with young kids, excellent pre-schools, not too far to Guildford - I used to push my kids into town in their buggy in about 30 minutes.

SJLR2011 Tue 30-Aug-11 09:07:13

Thanks SO much for your replies - really helpful and totally appreciated!

All I have to do now, is sell the house! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now