Godalming info needed! Where to live, how to meet people...

(15 Posts)
rubyblue Mon 01-Aug-11 13:20:37

Hi, we're moving to Godalming in six weeks time and trying to find a place to rent in the short term.We've had a look around and thought it all looks nice but have been warned off Farncombe. Any ideas? Our ds will go into reception year next summer so we would like to be in a good school catchment area and the schools in Farncombe don't seem so good.
Also, any ideas on how I would find out about playgroups and other grown up activities to meet some new friends please? I am a very sociable person moving from a city so a bit anxious about being lonely!
Thanks!
Rubyblue

Notnigella33 Mon 01-Aug-11 20:13:11

Rubyblue I have sent you a PM smile

FrazzledEm Tue 16-Aug-11 23:08:16

Hi Rubyblue
I am moving from London to Hindhead, as our house purchase in Godalming unfortunately fell through, in 5 weeks - am also wanting to meet people as I have a fantastic social network of mums here in West London and know NOBODY in Surrey! My son will be going to St. Hilary's in Godalming starting September so will be over there most days. Mail me.
x

MiraNova Tue 16-Aug-11 23:48:04

Busbridge Infants and Moss Lane are both very good. Also the schools in the nearby villages are worth a look - St Mary's in Shackleford, Puttenham Infants, Witley Infants, St James, Elstead. I've heard that Farncombe Infants in Grays Road is also becoming popular now. There's also St Edmunds in Busbridge which is Catholic.

You will need to research the schools carefully, lots of people this year didn't get places at their preferred schools when they would have done so previously.

meagle Wed 17-Aug-11 20:05:46

Hi rubyblue, we too are newcomers to Godalming, though my daughter is in year 4 (at Godalming Junior, which is lovely). We moved here just over a month ago and love it. I am hardly an expert on the area but would be happy to meet for a coffee or something stronger! PM me if interested.

badbadmummy Wed 17-Aug-11 23:26:39

Hi

Milford/Witley area is lovely, with some good schools. Busbridge is rated, but the schools are usually quite oversubscribed, so may be difficult this late in the application process. To be honest, you have to look quite hard around the area to find less good schools. Locals are wary of Green Oaks in Aarons Hill and Loseley Fields in Binscombe.

Looking at the number of replies here, maybe we should have a mini MN drink when you've move???

badbadmummy Wed 17-Aug-11 23:27:51

Forgot to say! There are a couple of local magazines that give playgroup info and what's on. Families is one, can't remember the name of the other, but the library might have copies...

lou33 Wed 17-Aug-11 23:48:09

Witley infants and milford infants are both good. I have had children attend both. Chandler c of e is a great junior school which is where both schools have a lot of their kids transfer to.

I agree about avoiding farncombe.

Notnigella33 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:59:26

Great idea badbad mummy smile x

meagle Thu 18-Aug-11 21:54:16

Badbadmummy - I'm in!

rubyblue Wed 24-Aug-11 20:36:53

Hi all, I'm late in replying but yes, I'm up for a Mum's night out in Godalming! We arrive week of 20 September so maybe the last week in September? All a bit up in the air as we still haven't found a rental place yet but hopefully we'll get that sorted next week.

Thanks for advice and offer to meet up! Will message you.
RB

Notnigella33 Tue 27-Sep-11 18:15:01

Hi Godalming Mummies smile
Just thought you might like to know about a Mums' Night out taking place in godalming next week on Wed 4th October- I'm arranging it with some other Godalming NCT mums I know, but anyone is welcome to come. You can sign up to it by befriending NCT Godalming Meetups on facebook, or just PM me on here and let me know you are coming so I can keep an eye out for you. there are quite a few people coming who don't know anyone else, so you wouldn't be lonely!
xx

Seabright Fri 30-Sep-11 23:50:31

Hello,
Another Godalming MNer here! Am hoping to make the meet up too & have PM'd Notnigella33 for details

Seabright Sat 01-Oct-11 14:41:49

Wednesday 4th October doesn't exist! Tuesday 4th or Wednesday 5th?

Notnigella33 Sat 01-Oct-11 16:44:11

Wednesday 5th October smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now