moving to woking

(6 Posts)
suarezi Sun 17-Jul-11 17:16:46

Hi

We are looking for a bit of advise, I have just taken a job in Woking and we will be moving down south, but we are absolutely clueless on where to start. We have a 3 year old DD who will need to pre-enrol. All comments, ideas, suggestions will be greatly appreciated

AnnieLobeseder Sun 17-Jul-11 17:27:59

Hi there
Woking it a lovely area, we're very happy here. Where exactly is your job? There are some fantastic semi-rural villages all around Woking, though you'd best avoid the ones with train lines direct to London as house prices are crazy because of the commuters.

You'd want Surrey County Council to find about about schools etc. There are lots of pre-schools, some attached to schools, some not. So it would depend on where you live as to where to enrol.

I live in Bisley, which is a lovely village, local school is nice, pre-school is fantastic. Nearby are West End, which is even nicer but more expensive, and Knaphill, which is cheaper but has some dodgy areas near the town centre. Goldsworth Park can be nice, but not as rural and sometimes has a new problems with yoofs. Central Woking is like any big town centre, I guess. Less desireable areas are Maybury and Old Woking. Horsell and Worplesden and Pirbright are fantastic but incredibly expensive.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help.

suarezi Mon 18-Jul-11 10:56:04

thanks Annie, the information is fantastic as it gives us a better idea of where to start.

nannynick Mon 01-Aug-11 07:27:51

This search of Surrey Family Service Directory should give some details on local Pre-School Playgroups. I would say though it may be better to contact the Surrey Families Information Service directly for a list of groups in the area in which you decide to live.

Housing in the area can be rather costly, though there are cheaper spots around though they might not be as nice a place to live. I work (I'm a children's nanny) in a lovely small village to the North of Woking - nice but impractical as there is rather a lack of public transport... a car is essential. I can't afford to live in the village... I live about 8 miles away in Lightwater, which is a larger village with a mixed range of housing.

jetagemum Thu 04-Aug-11 12:12:34

Hey, i moved to woking a year and half ago. Its actually a nice place, calm and not too busy. coming from a large city,i found it abit sleepy at first but adjusted well with time and loving the calmness. great place to raise kids.

Horsell and goldsworth park are nice tho expensive and have great schools too.

HelllyJ Mon 08-Aug-11 23:01:32

I am an Ofsted registered Childminder, half way between Woking and Guildford just outside a small place called Fox Corner, if you are in need of friendly child care. Have 3 children in Pirbright Primary, Fab school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now