Thinking of moving to Farnham. Any local recommendations?

(11 Posts)
AnotherMuesliPleaseBarman Tue 14-Jun-11 22:34:23

Hello,

We are looking at places in Farnham at the moment, but it's about an hour away from where we're currently based. Feeling a bit scared about moving to a new place we don't really know, even though it seems really nice when walking around. Will have one toddler 2.8 ish by the time we move, and one newborn. Are there nice places to take little ones, and places for new mums on maternity leave to pass the time in relative sanity? Recommended parks, playgrounds, cafes, soft play places, parent groups etc?

Also, does anyone commute into London from there and what's it like doing that on a daily basis?

Thanks in advance!

2dogs2kids Fri 17-Jun-11 08:29:56

We just moved here, been here 3 months and loving it. My kids are older but my friend has little ones. She goes to soft play area, also spends a lot of time outdoors in Alice Holt Forest. Very pretty with great fenced in swings etc. Farnham Park, where Castle is located is also great. Some garden centres have small animals and cosy area for small kids where you can sit and chat. Starbucks and Costa are child friendly. I went to an amazing garden with Sculptures. There is Birdworld. Leisure centre with pool. Gostrey Meadow is lovely with stream.

AnotherMuesliPleaseBarman Tue 21-Jun-11 21:52:04

Thank you - that's great to know. Found Alice Holt Forest website the other day - looks lovely, as does Farnham Park. Just made an offer on a place in Upper Hale area - fingers crossed!

nix216 Fri 24-Jun-11 15:57:22

hi both
I too am looking to move into the area from London and have an offer on a property on Arthur Road that I have my fingers crossed on. Can anyone tell me anything about this area and whether it would be a good choice or is there another area in Farnham that we should be looking at? We have a 5month little girl. Is it quite easy to meet people/other mums?
thanks
nikki

Justme001 Sat 02-Jul-11 21:21:31

Hi Nikki,

Farnham is a lovely town and you and your family will love it. I know lots of friends who have moved from London to farnham and have not looked back. Arthur Road is in South Farnham where you can walk into the town and the train is a 5/10 minute walk, which goes to London. It has some fantastic schools one being the best in the country (south farnham school). You will make great friends and find lots to do with your daughter now and as she grows up.
any other questions please feel free to ask and i will try and answer them for you. smile

IHeartKingThistle Sat 02-Jul-11 21:29:29

Was the offer accepted Muesli? We moved to Upper Hale from London last year and absolutely love it.

Sniffy types don't seem to rate this end of Farnham but there is an amazing amount of things to do with kids, everyone's really friendly and you can walk into town through Farnham Park in less than half an hour which is lovely lovely. I get the bus back because it's steep and I'm lazy!

Today was Hale Carnival Day with a fair on the rec - it was great. We've only been here a few months and said hello to so many people we knew. Small children definitely help you meet people!

AnotherMuesliPleaseBarman Mon 04-Jul-11 21:48:06

Hi IHKT,

No, we could only make a low offer and someone else made a better one. Obviously wasn't to be. Looked at another place in the centre of town, but in the end, went for a cottage in Hersham and was accepted last week - v exciting, even though Farnham would have been lovely too.

IHeartKingThistle Tue 05-Jul-11 10:02:29

Congratulations - hope it all goes smoothly!

chubsasaurus Wed 03-Aug-11 13:29:35

I grew up in Farnham and loved it so much. Congratulations smile

Miriellesansfr Thu 08-Sep-11 13:41:59

We moved from Fleet, a few months ago, ended up having to give the house away to move. I love the area, eating at Cote is a step up from Pizza express I can tell you. smile

Pain when I do have to go to the smoke, Fleet was a little more convenient, however thats now his problem as I have moved my office to the workspace we have built so I can look after the little ones.

Much nicer than Fleet, but I would do what my hubby did and ask for 25% off the asking price. The EA's are more out of touch with reality than they realise.

SNM Mon 10-Oct-11 19:36:08

I'm with IHeartKingThistle. I'm in Upper Hale as well - better value for money and easy access to shops, supermarkets and shopping

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now