Moving to suffolk, need help!

(8 Posts)
Amelie30 Thu 01-Jan-15 21:44:09

Hi all

Sorry if I ramble on a bit, I'm wondering if you can help. My husband and I have decided to move up to suffolk with our children ( aged 7 and 3) this year, when the house sells but we are unsure where. I have a fantasy of a thatched cottage in a chocolate box village with a local pub and school, all with a friendly warm atmosphere. I was born in Bury, but moved away as a child, though it still feels like home. I want to come home :-). I suppose I would ideally like that to be the nearest town, but it's not a necessity. My obsession to know every possible option and outcome has left me completely confused. I have been looking into schools and Debenham high school has really stood out (I know I'm looking far ahead, I can't help it :-D ) as has Stonham Aspal primary. The area of Stonham Parva is very appealing to me plus I have family in Stowmarket which is great. Here's my predicament, my husband is self employed and has built up a massive client base around Surrey, Berkshire, Bucks, Hertfordshire and London so will be commuting by car daily until he gets more work locally (we hope) and regularly after. once my daughter starts full time at school in sep 2016 I will look to go back to work, which is likely to bring with it a daily London train commute. I/we are prepared to do it, the benefits for us far out way the negatives, but where? From what I can tell surrounding Bury villages will be much better for the car drive but will add 40 mins to a train commute and Vice versa with Stowmarket. Does anyone do this car or train commute, how bad is it? Is it something you get used too the more you do it? We have done the car drive many times but not during the week and my husband did comment on 'how far' it was a few weeks ago. I said to him 'too far?' He replied 'I hope not, but I won't know until I try'. I am worried that after 6 months my husband will suffer, even though he is used to driving long distances regularly (though not daily) and I really don't want to have to move my kids out of school a second time. Also are there any other areas that will be the best of both worlds and have good schools? I only have knowledge of those to towns. Thank you :-)

RafflesSuffolk Thu 15-Jan-15 18:08:05

Bury St Edmunds is by far the most chic and classy town in Suffolk unless you're looking along the coast, which would add to travelling time. Chocolate box villages might be almost anywhere - certainly in the west near Bury or in the east along the Sandlings near the coast. Stowmarket is dire, but the London train passes through it and it's only 15 minutes further than Ipswich.

Boofuls Thu 15-Jan-15 18:34:07

We moved to Stowmarket after 7 years in London and I still commute part time. Train journey is totally fine but on days when there is a delay it can be awful so might become tiresome if you commute full time. Bury is lovely and yes Stowmarket is a little dire but not as bad as I first thought, quite a bit going on for kids. Surrounding villages are lovely so is there somewhere with good A14 access you could choose?

LE Suffolk Thu 15-Jan-15 18:58:36

Hi Amelie30, welcome to Mumsnet Suffolk! I'm Angela, the editor of this site. It's great news that you've decided to take the plunge and move to one of the healthiest and (in our opinion!) prettiest counties in the country smile Suffolk has loads to offer with high-performing schools and easy access to the coast. Hopefully you'll get more advice from local residents as we have posted your thread on to facebook and twitter too. Have you thought about renting for a few months so you can get the feel of an area without committing to it fully?

penelopejane Sat 31-Jan-15 21:38:31

I am in Sudbury, which is a quaint enough place. But, for what you seek, I think a better option is to head to Clare, a lovely place, though a tad pricey I believe! But Sudbury has a rail station with regular commutes I think - though I have no personal experiences.
On a change of tack (hey, seize the day as they say) ... If you DO decide to move here, please feel free to contact me if I can be of any help or you would like ... ...

I am now an out-grown Auntie so am seeking a new role ... Auntie or Granny on offer (NOTE: I have already been rejected by the youngest of my own relatives aged 10 years!)

I hated when I was a kid that I had no grandparents, but I loved the role of being an Auntie to my wonderful nieces and nephews.
Might you be lacking in any way a granny or auntie in your family life? Could you do with an additional ‘hands-on’ one? Please drop me a message if you have a space for a now Defunct Auntie!

I am 47 years old, a carer for my disabled husband and am great with kids (even if I do say so myself)
NOTE: I am not looking for sole care for a child, I am crb checked from nursery work last year and I would just like to be a gran or an auntie again

popster100 Sun 06-Dec-15 22:36:52

Hi there, I am interested to know how it worked out for you-did you make the move?I am in a similar predicament and looking at Framlingham or thereabouts! Jane (:

QuizteamBleakley Tue 08-Dec-15 11:22:35

Hi Popster - I'm in Suffolk and know that are well, having grown up near Fram (no, I'm not Ed Sheeran) so feel free to ask anything that may help.

QuizteamBleakley Tue 08-Dec-15 11:23:04

^area, even blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now