Moving to Dunblane

(11 Posts)
amsworld Mon 08-Dec-14 12:50:53

Hi there we are planning to move in Dunblane. Anyone has idea about Dunblane High school.Any issues related to bullying in school and how they are handled.I have 2 boys 14 and 9. Any idea on primary school there for 9 years old.How do pupil commute to and fro from dunblane high school, is there any bus service.which is the best place to live in dunblane.

amsworld Tue 09-Dec-14 16:38:34

seems there is no one who can help. sad

soontobeslendergirl Sat 27-Dec-14 18:27:11

Hello, it's pretty quite on here, probably better trying the main education section - you may have done this already and have answers but I'll help as much as I can.

I don't live in Dunblane but I do have 2 boys aged 14 and 13 at the school via placing requests. We are not local so cannot access the limited transport available.

There used to be 2 school services and a lot of the local children used them and paid as they were not the requisite 3 miles away to be able to qualify for free transport. Sadly I think that facility is gone or at the very least only runs part of the year, those in catchment and more than 3 miles do get free bus transport. The rest either walk or get lifts by car. Living outwith catchment does not seem to be an issue if you wanted a place. You could move to Bridge of Allan and use the Train or Public bus which takes you within a reasonable walk of High school.

My children attend the High school because the eldest had bullying issues at primary, thankfully we have had no issues at high school. It seems to be fairly rare but i have heard of incidents and the parents have not been happy with the way it's been dealt with, but to be fair I think it is rare for anyone to feel that it has been handled well.

As far as I know from friends etc, all the primary schools are good - Dunblane primary is the closest to the High school, St Mary's is a very small school that is linked to the church I think and is fairly difficult to gt into to, Newton Primary is at the opposite end of Dunblane from the High School.

I can't really comment on places to live as I don't live there, but it is fairly expensive though there are some ex council houses as well.

The school is fairly academic and I find it quite clique (or however you spell it!) The parent council is like some secret service for those and such as those. It does however suit my children well, they are happy, have some lovely friends, and appear to be doing well (currently 3rd and 2nd year). There seems to be a fair choice of after school sporting activities that my children have declined - I'd say it has a higher "geek" quotient than most high schools but seems to do well from a sporting point of view too. there seems to be music groups too (also declined by my boys!)

The 3rd years are about to choose their subjects for National 5 so it would be worth getting information about that sooner rather than later if you are fairly sure you are moving there. Though maybe your son is a young 4th year already?

I hope this helps - I know a couple of other people on here with children a similar age as your eldest so feel free to message me if you want more info or if you'd like me to give them a nudge to your question.

amsworld Thu 08-Jan-15 12:21:57

Thank you for replying .My child who is 14 is currently experiencing excessive bullying in high school.This school as you said has a geek quotient must be having children sensible and not inclined to bulling.
How about driving upto the school in morning as I have seen the old doune road , it must be crowded.I am trying to move in Dunblane rather than bridge of A or Stirling because than my child might be refused a place .I dont want to send him in any other school to get me in similar condition(bulling).Is your child who is in s3 experiencing or seeing any bullying in the school or classroom? His views will also be helpful.My younger one who is 9 has no problem of bullying in primary school.I am in position like once bitten twice shy.

Thanks again.

soontobeslendergirl Fri 23-Jan-15 19:16:12

I can almost guarantee that you wont be denied a place - they are actively seeking placing requests. My eldest is 14 and younger son is 13 (currently 3rd and 2nd year) I drive up old doune road every day - it takes me approx 15 minutes from Stirling, Bridge of Allan side it's not as bad as you think unless you happen to get stuck behind the bin lorry!

My elder son has had no issues and seen no issues, his friend experienced a small bit of name calling but that was nipped in the bud within days and he is now friendly with the boy who started it. Apparently the boy had come from somewhere where he was bullied and decided to get his retaliation in first.

The other incidents mentioned were in my younger sons year and seemed to be amongst a group of girls, there was one incident with a boy but that seems to have been sorted.

I sit up at the school every day waiting for my two to come out and I have to say it is the least aggressive atmosphere I have experienced around a High School - i'd have to say that you would e extremely unlikey to encounter anything. I'd say the majority of children are not fashion/label obsessed, they seem to be able to be themselves without anyone giving a care. In the 3 years I have been there every afternoon and morning I have never seen any incidents at all.

as I said, my son suffered from bullying in primary so that's why he is at Dunblane - he is academic and geeky and has fit in well, the school still does really well at sports etc too. he is very quiet, shy and a bit socially anxious, but he has made friends and is happy there. The boys my sons have made friends with are a lovely bunch.

They are all currently making their choices for Nat 5 exams for 4th year and the new year begins on 5th May so you may want to make sure that you are in place for that?

Feel free to PM me if you want any further info.

amsworld Wed 28-Jan-15 09:51:34

Thank you very much for your help. Hope we will see each other soon.

Sunita12 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:26:10

I have made placing request for Dunblane high school for S1. I was wondering what are our chances of getting acceptance...

CLJ52 Thu 26-Jan-17 20:12:24

Very high! We looked at Dunblane and all the teachers we spoke to were very keen to "poach" from the other high schools.

soontobeslendergirl Thu 26-Jan-17 22:33:31

Certainly a couple of years ago they were actively seeking placing requests due to falling school rolls, I've not heard any change in that policy. Everyone I've known that has applied has got a space - it's incredible really. I have 2 children there on placing request.

soontobeslendergirl Thu 26-Jan-17 22:37:53

I know current S1s there on placing request. I've also heard of someone who drives in from Perth everyday!

Sunita12 Sat 28-Jan-17 18:16:24

Many thanks everybody for this encouraging message. We are really concerned that we might have to shift to the Dunblane (pricey) catchment area from Breahead if we do not get the request accepted. I hope and pray that our request gets accepted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now