Does it matter if you apply early for primary school

(4 Posts)
Evaexpat1 Tue 22-Sep-15 15:38:02

Hi all - I'm relatively new to London and England and I am just now realizing that I could have started to apply for primary school on September 1st. Does any of you know if it matters hugely if you apply super early or, say, now? I know the deadline is Jan 2016. I'm about to tear my hair out, we live close to the Horniman Museum and so near lots of terrific primaries - in Lewisham but not close to any here in Southwark.

LocalEditorLambeth Sat 03-Oct-15 21:16:46

Hi there! I am also in the process of looking at reception places for my daughter in September 2016 and it's all pretty daunting isn't it?! As far as I know you are able to apply for schools in another borough but suggest speaking to your council to confirm how to do this. As far as I know, I don't think it matters when you apply as long as you get in before the deadline ends in January 2016. For example, I don't think it pushes you further up any lists if you apply earlier. I would suggest seeing as many schools as you can (some of them in Lambeth have specific days for tours and others you can call and make your own appointment) and speaking to other parents in the same situation and, if you can find them, parents with children at the schools you are looking at. Good luck!!

Emz2208 Mon 02-Nov-15 16:35:49

If its free schooling most of the time you have to be in a catchment area to get a place, you can view which ones you can apply for on the council website when applying. I didn't think applications were so early! I cant even remember doing it last year for my little girl - time goes so fast! Hope you get the place you want smile

mummytime Mon 02-Nov-15 17:17:50

It makes no difference when you fill in the form for state schools as long as it is before the deadline.
A key question to ask is how far away was the last pupil they admitted last year, and you can ask if they expect it to be similar this year- if they are expecting a lot of siblings they may tell you they expect it to be less this year.

Find out which school/schools you are almost certain to be offered a place at, and put them on your list somewhere. (Unless it is so awful that you would happily travel halfway across London to another awful school.)
You don't have to apply just in your borough. And the LA doesn't have to just offer places from schools in your borough.
Be aware of religious entrance criteria, do you qualify?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now