Moving to Somerset

(9 Posts)
bumblebee61 Sat 08-Apr-17 09:54:53

i am looking to move to Somerset from Gloucester. my daughter lives in Bristol and I was hoping to be within a reasonable distance of her, close to good transport links to london. Looking for a vibrant, welcoming community, great countryside and things to do and join. My husband is retiring. Any recommendations?

whatstheplanphil Sat 08-Apr-17 15:51:50

Castle cary - it has gots a train station, it's about 45 mins to Bristol by car - it's a little market town with lots going on / beautiful countryside etc .

AbigailsRevenge Sat 08-Apr-17 18:55:49

Wells is beautiful, lovely shops with just about everything you need, surrounded by fields.

Transport links are a little dodgy - along with a great deal of Somerset!

cxstina Fri 08-Sep-17 12:04:56

Hi, I am also looking to move to Frome area early next year, coming from Brighton. I have looked at Beckington but some one said it had issues with Flooding with all the new houses being built. My Partner has soon lots of nice houses in Trudoxhill, but a friend who lives in Mells said don't move there. We are looking for a house with big garden in a village or even in Frome if the house feels private, does any one have any suggestions?

WomblingThree Thu 21-Sep-17 08:12:51

As I always say on these threads, it depends whereabouts in Bristol she lives. If itโ€™s in the northern part, you would probably get there quicker from Gloucester! Never underestimate traffic in Bristol ๐Ÿ˜•

misscph1973 Thu 21-Sep-17 14:58:10

I'm 40 miles from Bristol, in North Petherton. I suggest you look at Taunton - good transport to London and easy distance to some lovely countryside. Taunton itself is really nice and welcoming. I do think that anywhere in Somerset is likely to have traffic problems.

Sunnyshores Fri 22-Sep-17 10:37:04

Will you be driving to your daughters in Bristol or going by train to Temple Meads? How far away timewise, do you want to be? Traffic really is awful, trains are frequently late/ cancelled and there are frequent accidents on M5. If you want to be, say an hour away, you will have to live pretty close to her.

PanannyPanoo Mon 25-Sep-17 17:13:55

How about Bradford on Avon - Its Wiltshire, but only just! Has a train station, 30 mins from Chippenham M4.

MrsSquidney Tue 26-Sep-17 13:44:29

I agree with AbigailsRevenge, Wells is gorgeous with fair link roads to Bristol, bath and Taunton.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now