Schools in Well - Advice please!

(9 Posts)
Louise3645 Wed 11-Jan-17 12:19:30

We are looking to relocate into the area and I was looking for Primary school recommendations and feedback if anyone could be kind enough to offer any! I would be looking at Year 1 and Year 5. Thank you in advance.

HotFuzzy Wed 11-Jan-17 17:15:44

Are you moving into the town or one of the nearby villages? I take it you mean Wells from your title?

Do you have any particular elements you want - Catholic/separate infants and juniors/small school. I can give you a bit of info but there are lots of choices so would be good to know what you're after.

What brings you to Somerset?

Louise3645 Wed 11-Jan-17 17:46:31

Thank you for replying. Sorry, yes I meant in Wells! We are moving into Easton so the closest school is the Primary in Westbury Sub Mendip, but I am happy to drive into Wells or the other side for the right place. My children currently go to a large school with over 900 pupils so are not phased by the size but it would be nice to have low numbers if possible in a class and just a school with a good reputation. I am viewing Stoberry Park, St Josephs and Wells Cathedral school when I am over in March...would appreciate any heads up if possible - Thank you

HotFuzzy Wed 11-Jan-17 18:03:46

St Joe&Teresa's is tiny, intake I think is under 20 per year. It has a lovely reputation but you may want to consider if it isn't a bit limiting, especially in the older years of primary.
Stoberry Park is a good, standard all through primary. Lots of positives. If you're looking at stoberry you should probably look at St Cuthbert's too, it's technically an infant/junior split but they are right next door to one another. Is wraparound care a consideration for you?
The Cathedral school is beautiful and if your family is musically inclined it would be phenomenal for them. Not cheap though.
I don't know much about Westbury's school. Presumably they feed into the Blue so your older DC will go there in 18 months?

Louise3645 Wed 11-Jan-17 18:12:59

Thanks for the comments. What is wraparound care? I did think about making an appointment for St Cuthbert's and saw there were 2 separate schools, but it could be a contender now knowing they are next to each other if I have time to do the drop offs and pick ups in time!! I guess I need to see how the visits go also and how the children and teachers come across. My two are completely different so trying to suit both. Do you have children at any schools? Many thanks.

MerrynCaterpillarMusic Wed 11-Jan-17 18:40:49

The Cathedral School is easily the best choice if you have the ££'s and you won't have any trouble getting in there. St Joseph's is a fantastic school but may well be full unless anyone is leaving. The other two are good schools too - basically there are no bad schools in Wells so don't worry too much.

Louise3645 Wed 11-Jan-17 19:18:49

Thank you for all your help. Much appreciated.

HotFuzzy Wed 11-Jan-17 21:28:19

Wraparound care is breakfast clubs and after school childcare - necessary for working parents usually. Stoberry may be your best bet for this. I've got two pre-school children and have attended several open days/evenings this year so reasonably up to speed on them. Didn't look at Cathedral though as don't have the £££!

Louise3645 Mon 16-Jan-17 15:18:44

I'm waiting for a big pot of cash to fall out of the sky ha ha ha. Its unlikely coming my way but hey ho. Thanks again. Booked into see Stoberry, Cathedral, St Cuthberts x 2 and St Joseph's with the really long name. Looking forward to it.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now