Re-locating to Somerset

(3 Posts)
shopaholic85 Mon 31-Aug-15 13:34:47

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else on here had re-located from London to Somerset. My husband and I have just started TTC and have made the decision to move to Somerset where my husband is from and his family still live.

We are both teachers but my DH is currently unemployed as there is a shortage of jobs in his subject in London. The idea is that he would get a job in Somerset, rent there and I would join him once I had sold the London flat. We are looking at Taunton, Frome or Castle Cary depending on where the job is. It is important that we are near a train station that takes us to London as that is where my family live.

Are we naive to think that my husband will be able to get a teaching job (head of department) in Somerset within the year? I imagine it is very competitive and people stay in schools for longer than in London. Also, is 265k enough to get us a period 3 bedroom property in Taunton/Frome/Castle Cary?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this or can advise.

Thank you! smile

Emble90 Wed 13-Jan-16 19:52:32

Did you move down?
I'm in Yeovil, love it here!
Taunton, Frome and Castle Cary are all fab places to live...taunton like any bigger town has some rougher areas but on the whole still a good place to live.
You should be able to buy somewhere with that money.
Don't worry too much about your husband find I g a job, there are a lot of schools locally and teaching jobs pop up regularly.
Hope the move went well

shopaholic85 Sun 17-Jan-16 10:33:24

Hello,
We didn't move to Somerset in the end, but are in the process of buying a house in Corsham. We would have preferred living in Somerset, but my husband has landed a job near Bath and finding something in our budget has been challenging.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now