Moving to Somerset

(8 Posts)
lucysaurus Thu 15-Jan-15 17:23:55

Dear all,
I am currently living in Wimbledon with my two children (7 and 5) and my DH and we want to start a new life outside of London. I grew up in London so I do not know a lot about other places. We want to live somewhere in the countryside perhaps in a small village but still with a reasonable amount of shops nearby. DH needs a commute into London so there needs to be a train. Our budget for the move £1m so money is not an issue. Any help greatly appreciated smile
Thanks x

LambethWalk Sun 18-Jan-15 20:07:25

How often does your DH need to commute? If it is 5 days a week, then Somerset may be a bit too far to go. If it is fewer days, then it is feasible. Castle Cary would be the fastest train commute into London from Somerset.

ElleDorset1234 Mon 02-Mar-15 21:53:45

Hi,
I relocated from London to Dorset/Somerset/Devon border, my husband regularly commutes from Axminster to London... our children go to Chard School which is a fab little (affordable!) prep school which feeds in to the local private and state schools as well as Colyton Grammar School (which has a brilliant reputation). We live near Lyme Regis which is such a lovely part of the world. We wouldn't go back! Hope this is helpful.

nilbyname Mon 02-Mar-15 21:56:58

Somerset is probably too far.

Dorchester?

Wishfor Sat 14-Mar-15 07:44:20

Help! Moving from a life overseas to Bath area. Have family in Taunton and Bristol so want to be no more than hour - hour and half away. Am considering Frome as need train lines to London to see other family and get up north for yet more family.
Got a house to look at in Corsham which has thrown me..looks lovely -now I can't decide. With motorway i can get to TAunton almost as quick as Frome - am I right?

Wishfor Sat 14-Mar-15 07:45:56

Following from last message…is Frome town on a hill? Is it bigger than Corsham?

Eleanor1087 Thu 30-Jul-15 14:26:42

Have you looked at the Taunton area, around Blagdon and Trull there are some beautiful properties. It has great links to London and fantastic schools locally.

Sunnyshores Wed 12-Aug-15 20:30:26

It really depends on how often youre travelling to London - DH travels from Bristol (not as far as London) and the train is very often late or cancelled on the way home. Its a real nightmare.

The other big factor is whether you want state or private schooling.

Personally I think Somerset and Dorset are too far. Id go for Devizes first, then Marlborough, Salisbury. Beautiful countryside but good access and shopping within 40 mins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now