Moving to Taunton

(11 Posts)
phil4abat Thu 20-Feb-14 20:18:22

Dear Members,
I am planning on moving to Taunton with the family by April. We have had a few viewings then someone suggested I ask the forum for advice.
I have read similar posts regarding this here, but they cover different periods (2008 to 2011/2012).
It might be more difficult to ask for areas where we should focus our searches on, so I guess the easier question would be which areas must we avoid? Although we would also appreciate pointers as to desirable areas with good schools.
We have two kids aged 5 & 10.
Finally, pardon the lengthy post - it is my first, and hopefully, I will be able to summarise better in the future.

tint Tue 25-Feb-14 20:49:29

Sounds like we are in a similar position - I agree, all the previous posts are rather old.
I have been looking a while but having finally sold our house we are looking seriously. We have focused our search area on school catchments - we are looking for state only. The web address for catchment areas is very long but just google somerset school catchment - there is a link to a map of somerset and you can zoom in/out and click on each area - tells you the catchment primary and secondary.
There are several excellent secondaries (including just over the border in Devon) - I like Castle, Heathfield and Uffculme. Lots of good primary schools - the ones in Taunton tend to be full if you need in year admissions, the ones outside often not full but the size of the school can be small. I have found most primary schools will tell you if years are full or not over the phone and all have been very happy for me to have a look round.
If you have any tips, would pleased to hear. I am having a real issue finding childcare as well.

Dollyclare Wed 26-Feb-14 16:06:51

Hello there,
Taunton is a lovely place to live and bring up a family.
I second tint and recommend The Castle and Heathfield School (secondary). For those feeder schools, you need to be looking at central Taunton,Trull, Comeytrowe,Galmington for Castle and Monkton Heathfield, east ish Taunton, Blackbrook Estate and all the lovely villages Stoke St Mary/Gregory for Heathfield School.
Uffculme is a bit of a leg each day and you will probably have a fight to get in if you live in Taunton/Somerset to be honest.
Kingsmead in Wiveliscombe is a nice secondary, in fact Wivey is a lovely place too!
Any more info... I will try to help

tint Wed 26-Feb-14 21:51:56

Hi dolly. I have read about lots of new houses plus potentially new secondary school between trull and comeytrowe. This dioes worry me as presumably this would affect school catchment areas.
Have you heard anything about it?

Sometimesbrunette Mon 26-May-14 06:09:52

I'm a Taunton girl. Know it like the back of my hand.

It's not the town I remember it to be (when is it ever?!) but generally, nowhere in Taunton is THAT bad. My dad was a senior policeman there and I heard all the gossip. The only area I'd avoid is east reach and near asda.

The Castle is the best state school or if you are going private then it's Kings. But you are right, I've heard it's hard to get in mid year.

Best luck and you are welcome to PM me if needed

misscph1973 Tue 17-Jun-14 14:11:59

I'm moving to North Petherton next month! And the threads I could find on Mumsnet was actually a factor in my choice ;)

I'm looking for a local FB group, can anyone recommend one? I got a lot out of the local one for Sandhurst, Berkshire, the area I am moving from, so I was hoping I could find one for North Petherton.

bugsyk Tue 05-Aug-14 09:53:01

Hi everyone! I'm new to Taunton and finding it really hard to make some friends for me and my girls (4 and 1.5).. I'm 38 and we've moved from London. If any of you fancy meeting up for coffee / playdate / park - let me know! Happy to travel out of town! grin) x

IHB13 Tue 14-Oct-14 19:25:47

Hi bugsyk

We've just moved to the area too, although we're about 30 mins away from Taunton. I have a little boy who is 16 months old - would be happy to travel into Taunton if you fancy meeting up. I'm not sure how to PM but you're welcome to PM me if you know how!

cath45 Wed 15-Oct-14 11:49:49

Hi,

I moved to Exeter 2 years ago, from the Cotswolds. I have a mixed race child and have found Devon to be quite racist - I love the place but not comfortable with that type of mind set. I am considering moving and like the look of Taunton but don't want to move to somewhere with the same views. I understand there is always going to be an element but not to the level we have experienced. Can anyone of mixed race/ethnic minority let me know how they've found it and also area's that are good to live? I'm looking for nice walks (as we have dogs) but also easy for school runs, thinking of Queen's or Kings school.
Thanks

tajko Fri 23-Jan-15 10:17:38

Hi all,
We moved to Taunton two month ago.its hard to make some friends.my girl is 4. Would be nice to meet someone.
Tajana
X

EveCollie36 Thu 04-Feb-16 18:29:52

Hi,
We are moving to Taunton within the next few months, and we are looking at Trinity, St James' and Holway community primary schools. Does anyone have any advice or experience of any of these? Any help would be gratefully received!
Thanks x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now