Moving back to UK.

(4 Posts)
Odinsbeard Fri 08-Sep-17 11:16:36

Hiya all.

I'm moving back to the UK next year after working abroad for a couple of years. I'm looking to settle in or around Shrewsbury.

The priority is comprehensive schools for my oldest DS who starts senior school next september. Youngest DS is in primary school.

OH doesn't work yet, but will be looking for work when we move back.

Having never lived in shropshire before, i'm after general advise on where to live really. We're used to living in villages around market towns, but within 30mins of a City, so we've got the option for meals out and weekend activities. We're quite outdoorsy too.

Are there any area's to avoid? Are there catchment areas we need to look at in order to get decent schools? What's the job market like in and around shrewsbury?

Thanks in advance.

JamOrCreamFirst Thu 28-Sep-17 16:11:35

Priory, Meole Brace and Belvidere are good.

PoloStar Sat 07-Oct-17 23:01:04

Shropshire is a good place to start - there are plenty of nice villages around market towns, and Shrewsbury has a good theatre, cinemas and interesting places to eat out.

Jobs-wise, depends on what sort of jobs. There are obviously "normal" town jobs in Shrewsbury and Telford - I think the job market is reasonably bouyant, although to be fair, that would be hearsay, from friends, as we live rurally and don't have conventional jobs.

The school in Church Stretton has a good reputation.

It's a very outdoorsy county, so you should fit in really well!

SouthShropshireLass Sun 08-Oct-17 14:37:00

I was going to suggest Church Stretton, too. It's about 15 minutes from Shrewsbury and has its own community feel, not to mention the Long Mynd and Carding Mill Valley on its door step! And as PP said, the school's supposed to be good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now