Potentially moving to Shropshire from the south west.

(9 Posts)
Stiperstones3 Fri 13-Jan-17 16:11:34

Hi, me and my oh are thinking of relocating to shifnal. We have a toddler and my oh grew up there so it's not the unknown. I'm concerned about job prospects thoughand worry that job hunting could prove tricky. I work in education in a supporting role at the moment but am considering retraining to get some admin experience. It would be really helpful to hear from other people about their experiences of living and working in Shropshire. Many thanks smile

BitchyHen Fri 13-Jan-17 17:31:21

I live and work in Telford, which I know is not popular on mumsnet, but I think it's a pretty nice place, and not too far from you. I work as a TA at the local FE college.
Telford and Wrekin have a website for school vacancies telford.gov.uk/info/1011/jobs
Hope this helps.

DaveyStott Fri 13-Jan-17 20:22:19

We live in Shifnal! We love it here as we have lovely countryside, but with Telford just up the road, it's not too isolated.
DH works locally, I work about 45 mins drive away. We moved here to be near DH's job.
There's not much employment in Shifnal itself. I think most people who live here here work in Telford or in the Wolverhampton area - Wolverhampton about 30 mins away.
BitchyHen - I think there's too much snobbery over Telford. Like anywhere, there are some rough bits, but there's some really nice parts too. And property prices are so much better than in Shifnal.

Madhairday Fri 13-Jan-17 22:59:03

I live in Wellington but did live near shifnal before and DD is still at school in shifnal. She likes it there. As a town it's nice with a strong community and nice schools. Not much employment I'd say but plenty locally or further in wolverhampton/Birmingham.

Shropshire is a lovely place to live smile

ShrewLass Sat 14-Jan-17 12:30:28

Shropshire is a fabulous and beautiful county. I love it so much. I hope you will love it too. Telford is sizeable and has lots of schools so I am sure you will find some work there or nearby. Best of luck with your move!

Flowerhands Sat 14-Jan-17 14:56:21

I work in Telford (live in Shrewsbury) I've got a few friends who live in Shifnal who really like it. In terms of jobs I work in education for Telford and Wrekin council, I found my job with them through the west midlands jobs website.

Stiperstones3 Thu 19-Jan-17 15:30:54

Sorry for such a slow reply. Thanks for all the responses, it's lovely to hear other peoples experiences of the area smile

katedavies0108 Sun 29-Jan-17 14:57:18

We moved to Ludlow from Berkshire 5 years ago and have never looked back. The area is beautiful and a much healthier environment for our children to grow up in. We have found a perfect prep school in Moor Park which our children love. Lots of outdoors, muddy wellies and a great all round education. We love it.

Stiperstones3 Sun 29-Jan-17 19:41:17

Thanks for the info, i'm definitely feeling more confident about the potential move now. I really like Ludlow, it's a beautiful town.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now