Day trips to the coast from Sheffield

(6 Posts)
mamaberta Thu 28-Aug-08 12:26:56

Want to take DC for a treat just before big move to preschool. Also have a 10 mth baby. Tacky seaside tat is fine cos toddlers love that stuff but would prefer somewhere that is not wall-to-wall Tennants Extra drinkers grin. We'd probably drive but would consider the train too.

Any recommendations or no-nos for destinations?

Imnotok Thu 28-Aug-08 12:34:21

Whitby is quite nice and quiet ,cleethorpes is ok and the train station is quite near the sea front and only a few pounds on the train plus not a long journey.

Puddlet Thu 28-Aug-08 12:40:33

I've been to Cleethorpes a few times although not since Ellie arrived. I think it's a good choice, there are some nice cafes, donkeys on the beach and the sweetest little steam railway (1/4 size) which goes from the far end of the prom. I always get very excited about that!

StayFrosty Thu 28-Aug-08 12:49:35

Sutton on Sea near Mablethorpe is nice, very old school seaside, just beach huts, a cafe and one tat shop, (and not wildly overpriced - tis free parking near the beach and the public facilities are nice) but it is a bit of a bitch to get to on the windy windy A road. We like Scarborough and Bridlington, the front at Brid is very nice now they've done it all up, v buggy friendly and clean.

Have a lovely time, we absolutely love the seaside grin

poppy9999 Thu 28-Aug-08 21:49:44

Hi

You could head to the west coast which is about the same in driving time - formby beach is lovely - fringed by woodland with red squirrels and the beach itself is really nice.

Lou
x

mamaberta Fri 29-Aug-08 22:08:32

Thanks, there were some good ideas there! Let's hope the weather's not pants on Tuesday grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now