Living next to students

(12 Posts)
spacepoodle Fri 14-Jul-17 22:39:01

Today we went to view an amazing house very close to Royal Hallamshire hospital. The house is perfect in pretty much every way except the house next door (it's semi-detached) is occupied by students. We have a 10 month old and are planning to have another baby very soon. We currently live in London and are looking for a better quality of life (but still be in a city) and to live closer to family.

I love the S10/S11 areas of Sheffield but am I mad to want to put an offer on a house in a student area? Can anyone share their experiences of living close to/next to students in Sheffield?

Uiscebeatha85 Mon 17-Jul-17 19:38:31

Yes I'm sorry, I think it wouldn't be a good idea to buy in the more studenty areas.

I live (rent) in S10 and it's hell most of the year. Students have no consideration for locals. They shout and roar all hours of the morning on the street and play loud music. Tramlines is a complete nightmare every year as they seem to think it gives them leverage to be extra twattish. If you try to reason with them about noise you'll get an indignant response of 'well, it's a student area get over it'

Most streets are also sullied with student to let signs which the letting companies leave up all year round. You get a reprieve of a few weeks in June while one batch fucks off and the next batch flock in to wreak havoc. They're a nightmare.

If you like S10, you should consider Crosspool/lodge moor. Much quieter but slightly more out if you could handle it

Uiscebeatha85 Mon 17-Jul-17 19:40:15

We also have a baby who's woken up by the noise occasionally. When that happens, I'm fit to be tied angry

Geneticsbunny Thu 24-Aug-17 17:56:46

We live in a student area and we have occasional bad nights but only a couple a year. I think the key is not to live next door to a big student house.

farfarawayfromhome Thu 24-Aug-17 17:58:56

I went to university in Sheffield and I would definitely not move to a student area, sorry...

Katz Thu 24-Aug-17 22:56:04

You can live in S10/S11 and not end up near students. We live just up the hill from broomhill in Crookes and they aren't any students near us and we've had zero trouble with them the whole 16 years we've lived in our current house.

What's your budget and criteria? Can suggest some houses in areas which are close to the hallamshire/uni but maybe less studenty.

Katz Thu 24-Aug-17 23:00:37

There's a new built estate which is nearing completion at the bottom of Crookes top of broomhill. Don't think that'll have students living there.

www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/find-your-home/england/south-yorkshire/sheffield/taylor-wimpey-at-taptonville-road

Katz Thu 24-Aug-17 23:07:51

If you have the budget this one looks lovely www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59939275.html
Have watched this one get built
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61248520.html

Geneticsbunny Fri 25-Aug-17 08:57:43

That top one is in a weird school catchment (I think forge valley for secondary) which is why it is so cheap for what it is. Tapton estate won't have students. Like katz says, some roads are fine and others are really noisy.

PandaG Fri 25-Aug-17 09:31:32

We lived next to students in Crookes with a small baby, got on very well, and paid them to babysit for us. Can't guarantee all students will be as conscientious as they were.

spacepoodle Tue 29-Aug-17 22:57:50

Thanks everyone. I did some digging and found out the letting company had somehow managed to squeeze 8 double bedrooms into the house next door so we didn't make an offer in the end. We have, however, had an offer accepted on a semi in-between the Botanical Gardens and Endcliffe Park.

I love Sheffield - so excited to be moving there!

SheffieldSixer Thu 21-Sep-17 11:52:29

Just next to S10 is S6 which has some lovely areas and great schools. This is nice. :-)

Loxley

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now