Moving to Sheffield

(19 Posts)
MrsBadCrumble74 Mon 10-Apr-17 15:08:21

Hello all,

I would be extremely grateful for any help/suggestions. I have just accepted an offer of a place to study as a postgraduate at the University of Sheffield in September which is very exciting. I will be moving up with my husband and our two kids (ds 2.5 and dd 5.5) and I am wondering where would be a good place to start a search? We would be renting with a budget of £900 per month. I need to be easily commutable (ideally not by car) to the University, and my husband needs to have a good internet connection as he works from home in IT. Critically I would be looking for a good primary school for my daughter who would be going into Y1 in September and good childcare for my son. Brief searches have brought up areas to the west of Sheffield as being good places to look. Being near to peace and quiet would be lovely but not sure what train links are like? However nothing beats local, personal recommendations and I am finding myself getting bogged down and not knowing where to start. Thank you in advance for any help.

SouthernBird Mon 10-Apr-17 17:50:36

Are you wanting to live within the town of out in one of the smaller villages?

The train out to Grindleford and Hathersage and beyond is pretty good, they're both lovely but pricey.

There are some nice bits of Sheffield round the university and to the west, it can take a while to cross town (we're in the south) so I would avoid that of you're after a short commute.

Travel South Yorkshire is a good website for working out buses, definitely easier than trying to park round the university.

Xmasbaby11 Mon 10-Apr-17 17:55:23

Crookes and Walkley are popular areas for academic staff - easy walking distance. Also Nether Edge and Greystones. Fulwood and Lodge Moor as well, those being more pricey. You won't have a problem with wi fi anywhere.

My dc are 3 and 5 and i think Sheffield is a fab place for families! I work at the university and live in meersbrook, but I drive to work. My dd goes to the university nursery which is very good.

dancingqueen345 Mon 10-Apr-17 18:02:14

Nether Edge, Crookes, Dore (although a little further out), Eccleshall. Definitely stay west.

buckyou Mon 10-Apr-17 18:07:15

We used to live in nether edge. It has nice and not so nice bits! Crooks, walkley, broomhill, anywhere round eccalsall rd area but it's a bit more expensive round there.

MrsBadCrumble74 Tue 11-Apr-17 09:53:40

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I shall have a look at all the areas mentioned, as well as the Travel South Yorkshire website. I favour an easy-ish commute but I know my husband is hankering after more green space so a little more rural. I'm not sure whether the two work together? I was avoiding using the car as I'm guessing parking around the University is fairly impossible? Any tips on good schools would be brilliant.

struggling100 Tue 11-Apr-17 12:05:37

Sheffield is a really green city to the West - so many woods and parks that it feels really rural.

Many students and young academics live in Hunters Bar/Sharrow/Crookes. Many older academics are in Broomhill, Nether Edge, Walkley, and further out in Carterknowle/Millhouses. I don't know any who live in Dore, it's a bit more Captain of Industry out there, if you know what I mean! grin Heeley and Meersbrook and Woodseats are nice for a cheaper, slightly hippified atmosphere that is close in to everything, but you tend to get less green space in the first two of those.

Best of luck with your studies - what subject?

MrsBadCrumble74 Tue 11-Apr-17 14:25:14

Thanks for the input. My husband is definitely favouring more green space, peace, less traffic, no terraced houses, a garage etc which from brief property searches is pushing us further. I have also spoken to Sheffield school admissions and it seems a nightmare with oversubscription, no guarantee of a first/second or third choice place because I would be applying outside of the 'window' for applications. However the process in Derbyshire seems very straightforward - so looking towards Hathersage. Is this a mad idea for commuting into the Uni everyday? Does anyone have any experience of commuting to Sheffield from that area? Are the trains reliable? I'm super confused now!

struggling100 Tue 11-Apr-17 14:30:58

I can't speak about Hathersage/Grindleford particularly, but trains between Sheffield and Manchester are packed and slow, and difficult in bad weather. Getting in by car is also increasingly slow due to congestion in the rush hour, though as a student you might be able to avoid that.

If you are moving from the south, do be aware that there is a significant difference in weather - the hillier it gets, the more it rains.

Also, Hathersage/Grindleford tend to be a bit more expensive to buy - not sure if this is also reflected in rents.

If you can stretch to £1200 pcm, I would rent here! (I have stayed in this house a couple of times, and it's WONDERFUL)

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-47560074.html

PieceOfTheMoon Tue 11-Apr-17 14:47:48

There are lovely schools in West Sheffield, but over subscription has been a huge issue. I would suggest getting a school place confirmed first if possible then deciding where to live based on that.
Ecclesall, Greystones, Dobcroft are all good schools who have put on extra classes in the last year or two. You could also try Nethergreen and Hunter's Bar.

Good luck. Sheffield really is a lovely city and if you move to the west you will be right on the edge of the Peak District and Ecclesall Woods.

Xmasbaby11 Tue 11-Apr-17 15:02:55

Hathersage is quite a long commute. I think you can still live in Sheffield and be in catchment for Derbyshire schools eg Norton Lees or Woodseats. You would be travelling the opposite direction to work, though. I agree with pp about the west of Sheffield. You might not get into the nearest school but they are generally all very good. And it's a green and beautiful area. I would move there if we could afford it!

If you want a non terrace and a garage you will have to pay more anywhere in Sheffield.

s42mum Wed 12-Apr-17 07:07:17

I would have a look at fulwood. Ticks all your boxes and nether green infants is a v good school with a lot of movement year on tea due to lots of academics and doctors moving in and out of the area. Walkable to uni too and masses of green space.

struggling100 Wed 12-Apr-17 08:54:53

The OP's budget is £900pcm and she wants at least a semi. Judging by Rightmove, that might be a stretch in Fulwood...

MrsBadCrumble74 Wed 12-Apr-17 11:59:21

Thank you so much for taking the time to help. This is proving more difficult than I thought. Getting into Uni was the relatively straightforward part! The person I spoke to regarding late school admissions said that we could apply at the end of May, where we would be given an appointment to visit the offices in person to register my daughter and state preferences. However she strongly advised that we should have accommodation sorted by then. At the very least we need to have identified an area we will definitely move to. She said the process could take weeks with us not knowing the outcome until a few days before the academic year starts again in September which is freaking me out every so slightly. Whereas with Derbyshire we could apply over the phone tomorrow even if we had no fixed address to move to at the moment. It's such a difficult decision. I don't want to make life too tricky for me getting into Uni as my postgraduate course is super intensive but my dh works from home and will be doing a lot more childcare input so we need a nice environment to be in otherwise he is going to go mad. There doesn't seem to be much property advertised at the moment especially around S10/11. Is this normal or the time of the year?

TheEmojiFormerlyKnownAsPrince Wed 12-Apr-17 12:47:54

Heathersage is about 15 mins from Sheffield. You hit Sheffield from here on the A57 at Crosspool. This Road then goes straight down to the university. It can get busy at rush hour but not that bad.

Hathersage has a fab heated outdoor pool! But it gets very busy with tourists.

S10, 11, 17 are the greenest parts of Sheffield and correspondingly the most expensive. Fulwood is lovely and rural but pricey. Lodge moor is also vey rural, you can see for miles from up there. .But it's quite cold in winter! Sheffield seems to get a lot of snow usually (but not this last winter)

Meersbrook, Sharron and Walkley are up and coming areas, but further from the country.

Places with no terraces? Hmm... Crosspool, Fulwood, Lodge moor, although Fulwood has some gorgeous picturesque terrace cottages. Do they count?! Greystones, Eccelsall, Nether Greem and Bents Green all very lovely and rural. Bents Green is right on the edge of the countryside. Hanging water is lovely too

Whirlow is nice if you've got millions!😄

TheEmojiFormerlyKnownAsPrince Wed 12-Apr-17 12:49:11

Sharrow! Not Sharon, Ranmoor is nice too.

struggling100 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:20:52

I definitely recommend that you visit, because a lot of people have a view of Sheffield as a very urban place. However, much of the city is much more like a load of small villages sort of connected together with big belts of greenness inbetween. It's far more like a big town to live in than an urban experience. There are some places where you would honestly think, looking out of the window, you were in the middle of nowhere, yet you are actually 20 minutes by bus from the centre.

A (very subjective) rundown of areas.

Basically, to the south/west, the city is bisected by three arterial shopping roads: Ecclesall Road, Abbeydale Road, Chesterfield Road. Ecclesall Road is slightley posher, and increasingly dominated by big chains, though there are still loads of lovely local shops and restaurants. Abbeydale Road is a world of wonderful bonkersness, largely independent shops, with an increasingly hippy/hipster vibe. Chesterfield Road is up and coming - lots of shops here have been closed for a while, but it's increasingly become a destination for pubs and food with some nice new bars and eateries opening up. The areas around these, particularly towards the edges of the city, are very green - if you looked at them on a satellite view, you'd see tons of trees.

Directly to the West of the city centre you have:

-Broomhill - posh area, close to the university. A real mix of very wealthy permanent residents and buy-to-let housing for students. Can be noisy after dark, but is very close to the city.

- Crookes: studentsville! Lots of terraces, some good local shops. Housing tends to feel more pennine, because it's stone not brick.

-Walkley: slightly posher, high up, slightly further out than Crookes, convenient for the uni. Many academics and postgrads here. A mix of terraces/semis, tends to be fairly denseish.

-Crosspool - probably the area of Sheffield I know the least. Further out than Broomhill, seems to be lots of 30s semis with the odd pub/local shop.

Then, working west of Ecclesall Road, you have Fulwood - this is a weathy suburb with a few independent shops. Big houses, a mix of modern and old. Feels really close to the countryside. Slightly further out is Lodge Moor where you really are right on the edge of things - massive views from some properties here across some beautiful valleys, but good transport links to the centre. Both areas are quiet, green, settled family areas but - forgive me anyone who lives there - a bit boring if you want to be part of the scene in the city smile.

-Ecclesall Road/Endcliffe Park area: wealthy, posh, but closer in - and highly desirable, so one of the most expensive areas. Larger houses, close to the Botanical Gardens. Rustlings Road, near the park seems to be highly desirable.

- Nether Edge: lies between Abbeydale and Ecclesall roads. This is full of big Victorian houses, and tree-lined streets. There's a wealthy, slightly leftie vibe to it, and a strong middle class community spirit. Gardens tend to be smaller, and housing is relatively dense- grand terraces and semis.

-Sharrow/Hunters Bar is the area next to Nether Edge and closer into the centre. It's got slightly smaller houses (think rows of traditional norther terraces) and a less green, more urban feel. Sharrowvale is now brilliant for posh shops and there are a lot of great places to go after dark. There are nice pubs, restaurants, delis, art shops, etc. Most postgrad students I know live around here.

- Greystones: further out than Nether Edge, more late C19/early C20 terraces and semis. Higher up, good views, liked by younger professionals and academics.

- Carterknowle is further out than Nether Edge, and more suburban in feel. It's affordable, and in a good catchment area for schools and on regular bus routes to the university. You could probably get a semi here in your budget. Greystones is across Ecclesall Road and similar in feel - it is perhaps a little more terracey, but feels very well-to-do.

- Woodseats is further to the south than Carterknowle, and is a combination of grander semis, 30s semis, and terraces. It's highly affordable, a mixture of older families who have lived in Sheffield all their lives and younger families who are increasingly moving in because it's cheap yet close enough to brilliant pubs and restaurants to walk out for an evening.

- Meersbrook: an increasingly interesting area of shops is opening up along Chesterfield Road, with bars, pubs and restaurants. It all feels quite excitingly provisional at the moment - lots of artists/writers/young professionals have moved into this kind of area and it seems to be a reflection of a slightly hippified, alternative crew. Meersbrook Park has great views and some very nice housing around it. Housing is quite dense, however, so getting huge amounts of green space is difficult.

-Heeley: the more urban end of Meersbrook, quite socially mixed but very friendly in feel. There's a brilliant city farm, but green space attached to houses tends to be more limited.

MrsBadCrumble74 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:49:23

Thank you so much for your in depth replies. Much appreciated. We will be coming up at the beginning of May too have a really good look around. We are also looking at the option as xmasbaby11 mentioned of being in the catchment for Derbyshire schools whilst living near Sheffield if that is at all possible.

rholo Wed 12-Apr-17 15:20:04

When we were moving to Sheffield I knew I wasn't going to be able to afford to buy a house with a large garden so my priority was to buy somewhere that was a five minute walk to a park. I am a SAHP and we spend so much time in our local park, our nearest playgroup has an outdoor part and we have an allotment. There are so many outdoor facilities for children in Sheffield: Forest kindergartens, aftershock woodland groups, playgroups in walled gardens etc Also, you can walk from Endcliffe Park, through a series of other parks and woods, right out of the city. My kids have a great sense of the outdoors while also having a real sense of community that comes from being so near to a park. An awful lot of Sheffield houses don't have drives and big lawned gardens but they do have friendly communities. I hope that makes sense and that you are able to find somewhere. The schools thing does make it stressful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now