Applying for junior school place for Sept 17 - SW Sheffield

(8 Posts)
greystones01 Thu 05-Jan-17 22:47:58

I'm trying to find other parents/carers who are on a school waiting list for a Y2 primary place in SW Sheffield. Can you help?

We moved into Ecclesall area a few months back and had no idea how hard it would be to get a nearby school place for our Y2 child. The nearest 12 schools or so all had big waiting lists and we got offered a place at a school which was just under 2.5 miles away! After a bit of waiting and quite a few more phone calls with schools admissions, we eventually got our daughter into an infant school 1.5 miles away.

But with it nearing the time for the council to allocate Y3 places for September (applications need to be in mid-Jan), I'm really worried we won't get offered a nearby school place again. So I'm trying to find all the other parents on the Y2 waiting lists so we can ask the Council to put on another class this September - Greystones would have space.

Schools Admissions said there are at least 16 different children on the waiting lists for Greystones, Hunters Bar and Ecclesall Infants - I'm trying to find these other parents/carers. Can you help? Does anyone know people who are struggling to get a Y2 place for their child in SW Sheffield? Or anyone who would like a Y3 place for their child at Greystones for this Sept? Thanks!

SouthernBird Fri 06-Jan-17 19:12:44

It wouldn't apply to us, I'm just curious when you say that Greystones have space, do you mean a spare classroom? If you just mean space in the yard for extra building space, I'm not sure you'd get anything on place for this Sept.

greystones01 Fri 06-Jan-17 22:39:39

Hiya, the long term plan is for Greystones to have 3 classes for each year group. The school temporarily expanded for a few years and then contracted back to 2 classes for one year, and then agreed a permanent expansion with the Council. So next year it will just be the new Y3 year group which will have 2 classes, all other years will have 3 classes. So yes, they do have a spare classroom.

If you do know anyone who is currently on the waiting list for Y2 at Greystones, Hunters Bar, Ecclesall or another SW Sheffield would be great if you could put them in touch with me or with our Facebook group called SW Sheffield junior (Y3) admissions.

SouthernBird Sat 07-Jan-17 08:14:52

Right, got you.

I don't know anyone with kids that agree there but you could try posting on some local Facebook pages, Sheffield Online, maybe the Star?

SouthernBird Sat 07-Jan-17 08:15:16

* kids that age

greystones01 Mon 09-Jan-17 22:15:00

Thanks SouthernBird. I've posted on a few facebook sites but I'd quit social media for a while and so now finding it hard to start it all up again for this! I was thinking of trying the local newspaper but I think they may only be interested if I'd been able to find more of the other mums/dads/carers or may only be interested once places are allocated and then there can be stories about how far children are having to travel. But I guess I could still try it...

FannySteel Mon 09-Jan-17 23:03:37

Have you tried sheffield forum?

Occasionally really helpful but very quiet lately.

greystones01 Tue 10-Jan-17 22:23:04

I did try Sheffield Forum, but no replies to my post. It's tricky trying to find the 16 other people on the waiting lists. Thanks for the ideas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now