Hampton prep & pre-prep: Do most families live close by?

(10 Posts)
bhnyc77 Thu 25-May-17 16:48:45

Hi,

Our 2 boys will be starting at Hampton Pre-Prep in September (yr 1 and KG). We live in Teddington and really enjoy the community, including the other families on DS' reception class at Collis.

Does anybody have any insight into (i) to what extent families live locally (ie Hampton), and (ii) if there tend to be children from Teddington at the school.

We did consider Newland House, which is more local to us, however though Hampton to be a better fit for our boys.

Any thoughts/ insight would be much appreciated!

mikkii Tue 30-May-17 22:21:21

I have a friend whose DSZ attends this school, they live inSunbury, we live in Hampton and my Zdc attend schools in Sunbury and Twickenham. It isn't far for them to visit friends.

Lottothink Sun 11-Jun-17 20:03:28

Hi .. we are planning to move to Teddington and even though we were thinking of private schooling in Kew we started to think about state in primary due to community and the good things we heard about Collis . I will start a new tread but you mentioned private route and Collis so it would be great to hear your views please. We can move to Twickenham or near school once choose it but we fell in love with Teddington . If we choose private I would be asking the same questions. I am looking for co-ed at primary and considering also Newland. Do you think there are more pupils from Teddington go there ?

448teatime Sun 11-Jun-17 22:52:44

Newland's catchment is several miles including coming over the bridge from Surrey. Twickenham Prep (mixed Prep based in Hampton) has a wide catchment including Isleworth/Hounslow. Pupils travel miles in the Surrey/Middlesex area for private day schools - look at the school bus maps on the admission sections of websites to give you an idea. But if you are adding commuting into the mix you need to study train timetables/breakfast club etc drop off times carefully.

Lottothink Sun 11-Jun-17 23:14:15

thank you teatime . is this the case for primary too ? travelling miles I mean . also did not realiss private considered catchment area . did not realise

448teatime Sun 11-Jun-17 23:24:23

Sorry by catchment I meant the distance people travel, the admission requirements of Prep schools have nothing to do with where you live. Just bear in mind some of the train lines are really slow and the schools have different drop off times. Some people drop their children early at the end of a bus route and commute from that point. It's from age 7 mainly but some from age 5. Also beware the cost of the school buses.

TW123 Wed 14-Jun-17 14:46:50

If you like a school in Kew, live in Richmond. You'd be mad to trek from Teddington to Kew for school.

Lottothink Wed 14-Jun-17 15:10:10

You are right TW123 - I think if we want private we will try to find one nearby (Hampton, Mall and Newland seem to be the options but arguably different to Kew ones) or if we feel comfortable ( nurturing and/or he would have still chance to enter secondary independent come 11+ then local school. I agree though - we realise that it is a long way - even from St Margarets plus we really want to live in Teddington.

twick13 Wed 14-Jun-17 20:23:01

You would also have Twickenham prep nearby twickenhamprep.org.uk and www.athelstanhouseschool.co.uk/ up to age 7 only

Lottothink Wed 14-Jun-17 20:57:46

even though our prefererence is non religious school we wouldnt mind CoE school but twick prep seems to be a very religious school . is it?

also thouse for up to 7- isnt it too much change for a child ? if you do that isnt it better to do state until 7 then private ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now