Lady Eleanor Holles, Hampton

(4 Posts)
Tanmom Fri 10-Oct-14 14:49:15

Hi,

We are planning on moving to Twickenham early next year and looking for independent schools in and around that area. I have heard a lot about LEH and its results are really good. But would love to hear from anybody who has a child there or knows somebody there. Some people we met at another school's open day said it is super competitive ( "a hot house" in their words). My daughter is an above average child but cannot call her super-competitive. I know she will have to do an assessment and offered a place before I really have a choice. But just wanted to do the research before I shortlist the schools. I am also looking at Hampton Court House and St Catherine's.

Thanks

seriouslycantthinkofaname Fri 17-Oct-14 09:51:21

Hi there. Don't have kids there but friends do. I would say it is one of the more competitive schools in the area. Hothouse might be appropriate but depends what you mean by that. My friends' two girls have had different experiences - the more competitive one thrived and loved it; it has hasn't been a good fit for DD2.

St Catherine's is a very different school. Certainly not hothouse, probably more nurturing? Academic results are not in the same league as LEH but attracts a different type of girl. I think the key is what is best fit for your daughter, not which one is the highest in exam league tables.

There are quite a few comments on the schools in the area on the main MN Secondary Education forum - I would check that out.

Tanmom Mon 20-Oct-14 22:14:17

Thanks a lot for your comments. Will also look at the education forum as suggested.

TW123 Mon 03-Nov-14 10:09:45

are you looking at 7+ entry or 11+?

your dd needs to be in top 5-10% academic ability to have a chance of getting into LEH.

St Catherine's, Radnor House all do well
Don't dismiss the state options, Waldegrave is one of the best in the country and if you can get in most wouldn't pay.

Teddington/Orleans both large popular successful schools

Surbiton High has a good bus service
Kingston Grammar is quick on the train/bus

lots and lots of choices for schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now