Impact of Thomson House school

(14 Posts)
schplappo Mon 23-Sep-13 19:59:06

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knows the impact of Thomson House school on the Mortlake catchment area black spot? I understand that many schools added a bulge class for the FY13 reception year so I'm guessing that the addition of Thomson House was not sufficient to cover the area's needs and that for FY14, there will be many children without reception places. Essentially, I'm trying to work out if we need to move house so advice would be very welcome. Thank you!

muminlondon2 Mon 23-Sep-13 20:51:51

It got 196 applications of which 40 first preference. Cut-off distance was 644 metres even without siblings. It needs to be inspected by Ofsted before the end of 2014-15. Other application info at the back of here:

www.richmond.gov.uk/admission_to_primary_school.pdf

muminlondon2 Tue 24-Sep-13 07:29:00

That link was wrong, sorry - 2014 applications brochure gives last year's cut-off details:

www.richmond.gov.uk/primary_admission.pdf

schplappo Wed 25-Sep-13 18:05:45

Thanks Muminlondon!

DonsDrapers Fri 27-Sep-13 11:10:12

Hi MuminLondon
I am clearly a bit stupid here, but if there were 48 places and 40 applied with a 1st choice, does that mean that everyone who applied with this 1st choice was given a place and therefore the distance is not relevant ? I havn't had my morning coffee yet as you can see...

muminlondon2 Fri 27-Sep-13 13:17:58

I think 2nd-6th prefs were offered too - those who otherwise wanted Barnes, East Sheen, Sheen Mount or Catholic schools in that area with even smaller cut-off distances (because siblings take half the intake). The cut-off is for all preferences.

seriouslycantthinkofaname Sun 29-Sep-13 07:31:04

Dons, I don't think it means all 40 who put it first got a place. Let's say Applicant A put it first and live 900m from the school and Applicant B put it third but lives 300m from the school. The school doesn't know where you put it in terms of choice ranking. It will offer B a place ahead of A. If B's first and second choices have rejected her because of their criteria (eg, distance) then B will be offered a place at this school, even thoughit was only her third choice. Applicant A mised out even though it was her first choice because of distance.

DonsDrapers Mon 30-Sep-13 10:03:09

Yes I get it now...thanks!

muminlondon2 Mon 30-Sep-13 12:29:41

Now I'm really puzzled about something. Is it a school with two headteachers? No Richmond state primary has this. But would it even be usual for a private school?

There was a headteacher appointed last November called Claire Doland.

But now there is also a principal called Diana Maine.

Just wondering who is actually in charge?

muminlondon2 Mon 30-Sep-13 22:56:01

No one thinks this is odd? No mention of Claire Doland in the Parents Handbook or as part of the teaching team. Yet the DfE still lists her as the head. Has she left or been told to leave?

MrsSheenShine Wed 16-Oct-13 13:24:23

Just anecdotal evidence but we live over near Palewell Park and none of our neighbours got into East Sheen Primary for this year's entry (just under 800m away) but one tried for Thomson House (about 900m) instead and did get in. Currently doing ok there and impressed by it by the sounds of it.

From the website it looks like they changed head teacher recently so DfE is most probably out of date. I'll get the goss from my trusty neighbour!

rumbles Sat 18-Oct-14 20:08:05

Bit out of date but saw this thread and though I'd post what I know about the head teacher matter at Thomson House. The initial head did not have her contract renewed and the follow up principal was only ever interim to recruit a new head. This has been done, very successfully, and the interim remains as a consultant.
Hopefully the DfE will be updated by now but the initial results coming out are very good.

muminlondon2 Tue 21-Oct-14 12:48:42

'headmistress', 'seamstress', 'manageress', 'stewardess'... they all sound very 1970s. I don't think I'm the only one who finds this usage rather old-fashioned.

But interesting to see how much more male-dominated the private sector is. The job title of 'headmistress' given on TH's website may have been written by the governors/trustees although perhaps the newsletters were written by the 'headteacher' herself).

Kamilouss Thu 20-Nov-14 14:59:45

I actually went for the open morning to see this school and I was very much impressed with the headmistress. I wish I lived closer to this school so my girl could be accepted sad this would have been my first choice if I were closer sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now