Teddington primary schools - waiting list movement

(17 Posts)
MumBoyGirl Wed 19-Jun-13 07:11:50

Does anyone have any idea how much movement there is likely to be on the waiting lists for reception entry?

I have no idea!

Teddyking1 Wed 19-Jun-13 13:24:52

Last year there was movement on the list particularly Stanley and Sacred Heart due to the bulge class.People in Hampton were offered these schools.Collis only moved 3 places .
However this year due to St. Mary St. Peters distance being less than 300m this has also shrank Stanley's down to 1000m hence all the kids would of normally been offered SMSP have now got Stanley so I doubt there will be as much movement as last year.
Hampton Wick list moved at least 2 places last year and waiting list is moving .

Teddyking1 Wed 19-Jun-13 13:26:20

Mumboygirl
Fingers crossed

MumBoyGirl Wed 19-Jun-13 19:37:02

Thanks! We are no.3 at Stanley...no idea if this means we'll likely get it or not...

Teddyking1 Wed 19-Jun-13 21:29:54

You should get in
A friend at our school got offered a place in August last year .
if parents do not attend the reception meetings in June/ July parents are then contacted to see if they still want the place.
There is then further movement in September as some children just don't turn up !!

MumBoyGirl Wed 19-Jun-13 21:44:53

Thank you so much for this! It's very helpful to hear about past years even though I know it changes. Stanley wasn't our first choice but I think it might be out best hope in teddington so hope something comes up sooner rather than later.

I know it's not the end if the world, but I would really like it sorted soon for me and my child. Hating the waiting game already...

LProsser Thu 20-Jun-13 22:06:36

It sounds as if you will get in as there are 120 places and there are always a few who have a change of plan nearer the time. Have you been offered a place anywhere else at all?

MumBoyGirl Thu 20-Jun-13 23:06:20

We have been offered Buckingham Primary in Hampton. It is 45mins travel from my house though and with travel to work too, it's almost impossible for me to get my son to/from school and get yo work. I also have another younger child who will be unable to go to Playgroup as I can't get her there in time if I have to go to Hampton for the school run. Challenging logistics. Really hope we can get into any of the teddington schools .

LProsser Fri 21-Jun-13 08:41:17

O poor you what a nightmare. Buckingham is in the middle of nowhere for anyone who has to travel to work by train after drop off or get there by bus from Teddington and traffic through Hampton Hill in the mornings is terrible. It seems that there still aren't enough places in Teddington even with Stanley, SMSP and Hampton Wick all having expanded in the last two or three years.

MumBoyGirl Fri 21-Jun-13 10:34:27

Exactly the problem. Transport links from teddington and onwards are dreadful. And that's before you make a 4 year old commute an hour and a half to/from school each day. Makes me so mad for everyone in this situation...I know I'm not alone!

Teddyking1 Sat 22-Jun-13 18:52:40

I heard on the grapevine that somebody just got offered Hampton wick who lives in strawberry hill.Are you near there ?

MumBoyGirl Sat 22-Jun-13 20:28:26

I'm in teddington (near Tesco), not strawberry hill...but know a lot of strawberry hill families got offered Buckingham too in the first round. Am glad there's some movement at least...I don't know of anyone else with an offer of somewhere closer so that's really cheering! Thank you.

JustMoved2013 Mon 02-Sep-13 11:55:18

We moved in July and we still do not have a spot for our daughter (year 1). I also live near Tesco in Teddington. it looks like she will miss the first couple of weeks of school and who knows where she will be sent. Most likely Buckingham given our similarity to MumBoyGirl. And as she said it is very inconvenient for us. So depressed. I wish we did not sign a two year tenancy contract. Well, I wish I hadn't accepted this job offer in London....

Teddyking1 Mon 02-Sep-13 13:05:53

Have you called sacred heart ? They took the bulge class in 2012 so are likely to be the only school with places for year 1 .
Also some kids may not turn up in September
You have moved into no mans land school places wise .
Could you break the contact and rent literally opposite your first choice school ?

JustMoved2013 Mon 02-Sep-13 13:37:40

i did not call them but we are not catholic. I will look into that. we are at best 5th in the waiting lists and I see it hard that 5 kids do not show up. We are a family of 4 and we have plenty of furniture so moving requires a little bit of thinking. I will definitely think about breaking the contract for next year though if things turn out like I think they will. This is all so wrong.

Heathclif Mon 02-Sep-13 21:47:49

JustMoved You are far from alone, a lot of Richmond Borough parents find themselves in black holes of school provision as a result of the Council's strategy to try to ensure every school in the borough has zero places. That means they basically rely on parents without school places to travel to distant schools with space, often but not only ones that are popular or hanging around until there is space in one of their schools, even if it is an hour away. I have heard only good things about Buckingham but it is inaccessible from the rest of the borough. Their claim that there will be a place for every child relies on parents travelling long distances or giving up and moving or going private (which is what we did 15 years ago, this is not a new problem) They basically inflict this misery on parents and children so they never run any risk of funding empty spaces (even though the government requires them to have 5% spare capacity to enable parents to have a choice of a local school. This is particularly the case where there are a large number of faith schools in an area giving priority to children of a particular faith since that means some parents gain priority through church going etc. even if they do not live in the local area).

The Richmond Inclusive Schools Campaign have just published a report which highlights where the greatest pressure on school places lie, and highlighting the impact of giving preference in faith schools to parents of that faith. Unfortunately Teddington is one of the areas of greatest pressure. I hope it will help you build up a wider picture. www.richmondinclusiveschools.org.uk/latest-news/report-on-2013-primary-school/

I am starting a separate thread on this

JustMoved2013 Fri 06-Sep-13 10:48:08

Yet no school for my daughter. And the people at admission cannot tell me for how long this situation will continue. She keeps asking why all kids her age disappeared and when she will go to school. I do not know what to tel her.
Did you notice any movement? were children in the same situation offered places this week? The council said that they will not organize bulge classes for yr1.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now